Thursday, October 11, 2018

It’s Here

New Hoover Carpet Cleaner

But why is the box so short, thought I.
Turns out it was short because assembly is required.



After first freaking out, I checked the instructions and found assembly was only connecting the upper handle and water solution tank. Took less than 5 minutes.


It’s going to take me like forever to break down the box, packing material, and get it all down to the dumpster.


Tuesday’s recertification session went well. I was in and out, paperwork completed in less than 10 minutes, and most of the less than ten minutes was chitchatting ─ Assistant Community Manager venting about being over-worked and under-appreciated by Corporate. Someone at Corporate even told her “No one is indispensable” when she complained about lack of staff, so many days with just herself on duty. I imagine that statement was meant to scare her, as in … if you can't handle it, we'll get someone who can.
The session was so quick because, according to her, I came prepared with the necessary printouts of income and assets. She indicated others come in and say, “I think I have this and that ... it’s all guesswork”.
Since when?
This was news to me because, always before, one had to show proof, which proof management databased and kept copies of. Now anyone can say anything, and the paperwork I’d provided wasn’t needed this time around. The recertification process now is the resident fills out a form, much like a tax filing, and signs to its validity.
Something must have happened to bring about this change. Either Corporate is now too cheap to hire people to review/verify our submittals or Corporate no longer trusts its employees with copies and database access to our personal information.
One new thing they included in the process that I like is … remember when a long-time resident was found dead in his unit from suspicious circumstances? He had bruises on his chest and his caregiver disappeared.
We never did hear how that investigation ended but, when the resident’s brother came to remove his deceased brother’s property, management turned him away saying the unit had already been leased to someone else, someone who had nothing and needed what was in the unit.
I’m not against giving to the needy, but I didn’t think it right to withhold and give away what was not there’s and planned to inquire, at my recertification, what would happen to the contents of my unit should I pass away while living here.
Evidently, a lot of residents had a problem with what happened with the contents of that unit, because the recertification packet contained a form to indicate who we’d given keys to our unit, and who management was allowed to let into our units to do as they saw fit. I listed Twin No. 2 as the person who had keys and Twin 1 and Granddaughter to be allowed in.
So, recertification is off my bucket list.
Assistant Manager never mentioned her husband, his illness, ICE having picked him up, and I certainly didn’t bring it up, but you could see the stress she’s under on her face, the deeply lined bags under her eyes. She did, however, say she may need to take time off, giving the excuse she needed the time to rest, to sleep but Apache had already texted me that she’d be taking time off to return to British Honduras, with her husband, to do whatever it is they need to do.
It’s something about her husband is only allowed so much time in the country, has to return to British Honduras but then, after a time, can come back. I do remember when she took time off previously to do just that ─ go out of the country with him for a few months, then return and jump back into her job. What I’m guessing happened is, because he got sick again, he overstayed this time. Thus, ICE grabbed him up.
At any rate, she’s a nice woman, not too smart for remarrying that guy and taking on his issues, but nice. So, I hope things work out for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment