Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Out with the Old ...

In with the new, but only because I had no choice. 
My trusty little Hoover Carpet Steam Cleaner, warranted for only two years, actually lasted seven before finally breaking down middle of September.
The Hoover didn’t so much as break down as it was I broke it.


I saw some clumps of sludge inside the clear plastic circled area, didn’t know how to get the cover off to clean, so I began sticking thin objects up into openings at the bottom to pull the sludge out.
I successfully cleared that area out, but then the Hoover began moaning and groaning and, instead of squirting solution water, started to pour out onto the carpet, so I called it a loss and got rid of the old Hoover.
Since then, I’ve been going back and forth as to whether I should call in a professional carpet cleaning service or replace. 
I never did get that free professional cleaning I’d won at one of the Residents/Management meetings. The Complex Manager was fired before arrangements could be made, and knowing I’d have better luck winning the Powerball than getting Corporate to live up to the deal, I didn’t waste my time. I just continued to clean my own carpet until I killed the Hoover.
After research and reflection, I finally yesterday decided the less bothersome route is to replace.
Then the decision was ... do I head to Best Buy and struggle with getting a big heavy box up the stairs to my unit, or do I open the box in the car ─ to lighten the load, and try to get the new Hoover upstairs in pieces, or do I let my fingers do the work.
The choice was easy, I ordered online, so the delivery people can drop it at my front door which, I’m told, will be tomorrow.
So that out of the way, next on the bucket list is to recertify my eligibility to live here. I’m scheduled to meet with the Assistant Manager and submit eligibility paperwork at 3:00 today.
Eligibility is that 1) You’re 55 years of age or older 2) You have no criminal record and 3) You meet the financial guidelines, i.e., a good credit background and limited income.
I’m still over 55, haven’t been arrested yet, my credit score is okay, but I am over the income limit.
When I recertified last year, after being blessed with that windfall, Assistant Manager indicated I still qualified because I’m grandfathered in irregardless of my income. That being said, I don't see why I still have to go through this process. But it is what it is and, unless the rules have changed in regards to my being grandfathered, I should be good for another year or until I myself decide to move on.
Today is Pizza Tuesday and, because Apache texted me yesterday saying ICE was here and took Assistant Manager’s husband away, because he was in the country illegally (from British Honduras), I’d better go down to check on what the folks are up to and whether I still have a 3:00 appointment, because Apache also indicated she may not be here because of what happened to her husband.
When she took the job and moved into the unit Corporate provided, she was divorced from that guy. Then, all of a sudden, he began coming around, staying in the unit and she remarried him. Since then, it’s been one trauma after another for her. First, shortly after she remarried the guy, he got deathly ill, which my spidey sense tells me he knew he was ill, didn’t want to be alone, sweet talked his way back into her life to have someone to take care of him.
His illness so stressed her that she gained weight, got sick herself.
He began to recover, she recovered, he had a relapse and now there’s ICE.
Two lessons I’ve learned from watching her drama is 1) Never go back (as in take him back) and 2) Sometimes it’s better to be alone. Being alone is not always easy, but it’s easier.

3 comments:

  1. I agree, don't go back...and that goes for everything in life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree. My mantra lately is to stay in the now. :) Keep us posted about the unit.

    ReplyDelete