Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Halloween Breakfast Potluck

The box of Starbucks was, as usual, a huge hit with the seniors, as was The Baker’s fabulous biscuits and gravy.


Of course, I had to pass on biscuits, gravy and all the other delicious looking dishes the seniors brought, not only because I don’t eat just anybody’s food (sole exception being The Baker’s, if I could) but because my sensitive stomach can’t handle white flour, baking powder, and many other toxic to me ingredients. So, I ate before I got there and satisfied myself with coffee, fruit and conversation.

How cute are these plates

Also a big hit was my costume, even though Apache was the only one, other than Community Manager and Activity Director, who knew who the character was. The others appear to have lived their lives under a rock and intend to stay there. But they did find the outfit "cute".



This guy, on the way to discuss insurance with a resident, made a beeline into the Community Room, upon seeing my costume, said he loved it and asked if he could take a photo to send to his daughter who he said is all over Pikachu.
How sweet is that!
Even though I expected few seniors would bust out of their fuddy duddiness and wear a costume, I yesterday decided to pull, from storage, a minion outfit ─ last worn in 2016 for a costumed 5K.
But then, I got to thinking about Debra’s suggestion of Pikachu (seconded by Mage), changed my mind about minion, put on my creative thinking cap and thought of ways to put Pikachu together at the almost last minute.
I quickly captured a Pokéball image from the internet, printed onto transfer paper, and ironed it onto an old top that wasn’t exactly yellow, more like lime green, but close enough.
Then, I looked at a few YouTube tutorials on making ears/tail, using felt, and headed to the craft store. 
A block or two away from reaching Michael’s Crafts, I spied a Party City sign.
Something told me to pull in, check to see if they had anything I could use.
Did they ever ─ a kit including headband AND tail.
Saved me a ton of time and having to set up the sewing machine.
I even found a top for the upcoming Wonder Woman 5K.


The race organizers are providing us with tops for that event, but I thought I might like this one better.
We’ll see.
Only four, out of the 25 in attendance, were in costumes.


Next to me is “Zero”, a character I’m not familiar with. Then we have a Bee and a Gypsy.
It didn’t use to be this way. When I first moved in, back in 2011, there was way more community spirit, way more Halloween spirit.
The years of Nurse Ratched as Community Manager changed everything and, even though she’s long gone and things are copasetic around here now, there are those who are still angry, resentful towards Corporate, won’t participate, and management seems to be filling vacancies with people who, instead of being Active Seniors, are so infirmed that they can’t get out.
That’s why Activity Director’s activity duties have been drastically cut back, with her focus now on Outreach for the infirmed -- which is Corporate’s greedy way of bringing more funds in for them, rather than spending on us.
Oh well, the lack of costumes made it easy for me to win a prize.
The new Community Manager was the judge, which I liked much better than attendees judging, especially since they don't know characters.  The prize for “Most Creative” went to the gypsy in the wheel chair. I got “Best Dressed”.
What did I win?
 
Themed Soap Dispenser

Because Activity Director’s activity hours have been cut, that’s it for activities around here for remainder of the month.
No matter to me because I’ll be gone -- I've got a 5K this weekend and another next weekend.
After that experience with the knees and hips not feeling race ready, I was thinking of heading to Korea Town for some acupuncture. But then, something told me it was the new walking shoes.
Sure enough, I checked and saw the back heel is higher than I’m accustomed to ─ threw my stride and balance off, caused my feet to shift just enough to put pressure on my knees and hips. 
Too bad because they were expensive, plus I bought two pair, and now they’re useless to me.
The good news is somebody at Salvation Army is going to get a bargain.

4 comments:

  1. Woo hoo! Your Pikachu costume is GREAT! And I really like the black cat soap dispenser that you won. Too bad there wasn't more participation in the costumes, but that makes yours and the others' even more central to providing a festive Halloween ambience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, no pics of you in that wonder woman....we must see that one too. :-) Glad you won something. As for your shoes, I'd see a shoemaker, they adjusted some heels for me and it was cheaper than getting new or tossing them. I'd sure try that first...unless you have a lot of money to spare then toss 'em. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having a shoemaker look at them is not a bad idea. The Wonder Woman 5K is first weekend of November. There will be no one with me to take photos. I'll be taking photos of other participants and perhaps I can get someone to take a photo of me in WW gear.

      Delete
  3. Take the one pair back. And I am sorry it was the shoes. I too have one newer pair I cannot wear with comfort. You look really great. That's a wonderful costume, and you could wear it in a 5K if you could keep the ears on. :)

    ReplyDelete