Friday, October 12, 2018

Fire on the Mountain

Napping this afternoon, I became aware of sirens.
I think I’ve become desensitized with so many rescue vehicles coming in and out of the complex to care for seniors in distress, so I didn’t rouse myself to see what was going on, not even when I became aware of more sirens and helicopters.
THEN, my phone began to alert me to a message.
Still couldn’t rouse myself.
THEN, my phone began to alert me to more messages, so I forced myself groggily awake to check the phone and saw it was my buddy Apache asking if I was ready to evacuate. Included in one of the messages was a photo of what was going on across the street, a few miles away.


He was joking about “evacuate” — the fire wasn’t that big or that close, but it did wake me up.
I headed outside.


I ran into The Baker. She was anxious because one of her daughters lives in that area and had texted it was coming her way.
Fortunately, fire services did a good job. The fire (intentionally set by two teens) was contained quick fast in a hurry.
Lots of seniors were out of their units, on fire watch, including The Seer and Shadow.
Shadow is getting creepier and creepier by the minute, the way he always sits next to The Seer, listening to her conversations with others, but never speaking.
I’ve seen stories on the ID Discovery Channel about guys like this.
It’s a definite red flag.
A few days ago, Apache texted me that an armored truck had sideswiped a car out front, photo included.


No money fell off the truck, so I didn’t hurry out, but I did later go to the Community Room to check on the aftermat.
There was The Seer, Shadow sitting close by, silent, looking glum, like always, while The Seer chatted with others.
When she stepped away for a second, I decided to poke the bear and make him speak.
“You’re quiet”, said I. “Are you okay?”.
“I’m always quiet. I’m okay, at peace, filled with the holy ghost”.
Ooooookay. Sorry I poked you, thought I, as I got up and removed myself.
A few weeks prior to that, at The Baker's Birthday party, The Seer announced to the group, "He's a real man".
Not only was what she was alluding to TMI (too much information), it was out of context. Had nothing to do with any conversations going on.
Embarrassed for her, wanting to throw up in my mouth at the imagery she'd put in my head, and simultaneously wanting to take her down, it was on the tip of my tongue to say, "Real men have teeth".
Fortunately, I was able to bite my tongue and control my mouth, because it would have been a cruel thing to say. The absolute truth as it relates to Shadow, but cruel.
And so you don't think I'm completely shallow, things happen, so false teeth are acceptable, but only one or two or three in a guy's mouth is like eweeeeee.
At any rate, today’s fire was a signal to put my go-bag back together. I’d had to upend it when I used that overnight bag for the last two away trips. With the Santa Ana Winds expected in a few weeks, teens purposely setting fires, the homeless accidently starting fires while trying to cook or stay warm, I’d better get prepared.

2 comments:

  1. The winds are here. The coast is expected to be in the 80's today. Yes, he sounds really weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your living center is interesting. I had not thought of such a thing but now I think it is worth investigating.

    ReplyDelete