Sunday, July 8, 2018

Mmm ... Chocolate

Yesterday was World Chocolate Day, commemorating “the introduction of chocolate to Europe in 1550” and, in celebration, Krispy Kreme was transforming its traditional glazed donut into a chocolate version.



Of course, I can’t eat chocolate, let alone a donut, without becoming ill, but I’d pretty much made up my mind to do it anyway. After all, thought I, how sick can I get from one or two or three Krispy Kreme’s and for how long? I was planning on finding out.
But I woke up that morning with sweat dripping down my face and the thermostat registering over 90 inside the unit, because I’d not set the A/C to kick in over 85 because I don’t like the sound of the A/C running during the night and I was trying to tough it out.
It’s a wonder I didn’t die of heatstroke in my sleep.
The plan for yesterday, other than to indulge my chocolate craving, was to walk a virtual 5k in the comfort of the air-conditioned mall, with yet another cool medal to arrive in the mail upon completion.



Fortunately, rules state the virtual can be run at any location, with participants either walking, using the treadmill, or biking, and “Complete your race any time in July, even better if you complete it on July 7th!”.
After waking up, already wiped out from the heat before I even got out of bed, the 7th was not an option. Of course, I could have employed the indoor bike, but that doesn’t burn as many calories as walking, so I’ve put off the 5k until the mood hits next week or so, minus the stop by Krispy Kreme because chocolate glaze was a one day only thing.
You know how they say “everything happens for a reason”? Waking up wiped out not only kept me from a gut episode, but indoors, away from the mall area, and that turned out to be a good thing because, in the middle of this heatwave, warnings began popping up on the television of a flash flood in this area and where I would have been had I driven to the mall.
No way, thought I. The sun was shinning and it was Hyades hot.
But then, sure enough, it suddenly went dark outside, I heard thunder then came the heavy rain.
So ominous, thought I. What’s next ... an earthquake?
I got caught in a flash flood a block from my current residence once, and it was scary. I couldn’t see ahead of me to drive on or pull over, so I stopped in place not knowing what was coming up behind me. Fortunately, it was over as quickly as it appeared and I made it around the corner and into my complex.
Same with yesterday’s flash flood, it was over as quickly as it appeared and the sun went back to burning.
Last night, I set the A/C to kick in at 85 inside, which it did at 7:00 a.m.
That’s still a little warm, but I didn’t wake up in a sweat or wiped out, so I might venture out in search of a Summer Pikachu today. One appeared in the unit yesterday.


So cute.
But I need to catch 300 in order earn a Fan Medal, which gives me access to special gear.
Of course, I won’t hunt in motion. I’ll drive to a known Pokéstop, park, sit in the air-conditioned car, load the app, catch what I can, exit the app, drive to the next stop.

3 comments:

  1. If I had known about those chocolate-glazed Krispy Kremes I probably would have ruined my diet...then had the same reaction as you. Good thing I didn't know :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it's a good thing I didn't post yesterday, LOL.

      Delete
  2. 85 inside? OMG I'd die!!!

    I did not know it was world chocolate day. I thought that was every day. Silly me.

    ReplyDelete