Monday, July 16, 2018

It’s a Good Thing He’s Dreamy Looking

Waking up at 6:00 to 62˚ weather this morning, I thought it a good time to head to the mall to do the Virtual 5K that was too hot to complete on World Chocolate Day before 62˚ rose to the expected 99˚.
Two things prevented me from doing so. One was the fact Mall Security had given me a flyer, last time I was there, indicating it wasn’t safe for mall walkers before 7:30 and walkers spotted before that time would be asked to leave. Second was the fact I had a dental appointment scheduled for this morning. So, looks like the 5k is going to be pushed forward yet again.
This morning’s dental appointment was the first visit since the emotional goodbye to my long-time hygienist.
I was apprehensive of someone new, because I’d had a bad experience many years ago when another long-time hygienist, in a Huntington Park dental office, retired and the young lady taking her place made it clear, by body language and tone of voice, that she didn’t like working on a Black person.
Her anger at having to do so transmitted into her fingers and she actually hurt me.
Racism embarrasses me. It’s so ugly that I don't like to acknowledge it. I don’t like to point it out when it happens to me, I don't like to talk about or fight against it. I’m a “rather switch than fight” type person, so that’s what I did -- I switched to the current dental office and it’s been smooth sailing ever since.
Of course, having been with the old dental office for decades -- even my children were patients, when I told the dentist’s assistant that I’d not be returning, she questioned my reason.
I lied saying it was too far to travel.
There had obviously been some discussions with the young dental technician expressing her not wanting to work on a Black person, and being told to do so or go elsewhere to work -- which is why she worked angry, because the assistant pointedly asked me, “Is that the REAL reason?”
I lied again and said yes.
At any rate, this morning’s new hygienist turned out very well.
Through chatting between moments when a tool was not in my mouth, I learned she too does 5Ks, some virtual, some in person. And, in fact, when the Diva Run came to Ontario some three/four years ago, she’d participated but didn’t remember seeing the costumed group I was walking with (Justice League – Wonder Woman, Spider Girl, Bat Girl).
She, like the last hygienist, is an older lady (late 50's early 60's maybe) working in an office full of young girls, and she only works three-days a week. Since we hit it off so well, I can only hope she’s not planning to retire any time soon.
I was prepared for x-rays this morning, but that didn’t happen. However, the bill was so high that I questioned if they’d included x-rays by mistake.
They had not.
By the time I got back to the complex, certain there had been a mistake because the bill was over $100 more than I’m accustomed to pay for a cleaning, I called and asked for a detail of charges.
The extra $120 was for an exam, because Doctor McDreamy came in, examined my teeth, said they were pretty, well-cared for and no cavities.
Since all he gave me was good news and because he’s still a drop dead handsome silver fox, after 12 years of watching him age, I guess looking upon his eye-candy self is worth an extra $120.

3 comments:

  1. You are so much nicer than me.
    I am glad your bill was given with a dose of Dr. McDreamy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Came across your blog via 'Going gently' and have added you to follow. Similar age and actually an English woman living in redneck land. Look forward to reading your posts. Have a blog myself if you are interested.

    ilikeknittingandsewing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome. Thanks for the visit. English living in redneck land sounds interesting.

      Delete