Monday, March 13, 2017

Offline

Woke up yesterday to no internet service.

Customer service was unable to restart remotely, so I filled the time with household chores, needlepoint and, as the television was working just fine, catching up on recorded programs.

It would have been all over had the television also been inoperable. I would have booked a hotel room near the beach because, though I can live a day or two or three without internet service, the noise from the television is like background music to my existence. Sadly, I literally cannot live without it.

Today was to be more of the same, as I had a dental appointment and could not be home for a technician to check out the modem, thus had scheduled the appointment for tomorrow.

Visits to the dentist are not something I look forward to, I also don’t mind so much because I have a good rapport with the hygienist and the dental office is next door to Souplantation, where I always stop after for lunch.

Arriving back at the complex, I noticed lights back to blinking on the modem.

Could it be?

Sure enough, I logged onto the computer and found I’m mysteriously back online.

Cable companies recently undergoing some sort of merger/shakeup, instructing us to Keep Calm, I’m hoping this offline/online isn’t going to be a regular occurrence, especially since the recent merger/shakeup, along with the complex no longer providing bundled basic cable for its residents, has upped my bill to double what it previously was.

I’m not the only one, and fortunately I've been able to comfortably fit the bill doubling into my budget even before the windfall. So though I think we're being taken advantage of, it's no problem for me. However, it's causing a hardship for the seniors already struggling to afford medication and food. One resident's bill went from $71 to $175.

Residents now being charged for basic cable, and now no cable television in the Community Room – because Corporate doesn’t want to pay for it, I expect this coming Thursday’s Resident/Management meeting to be a contentious affair.

2 comments:

  1. I could live without tv, but not Internet. I would pack myself off to the library or some other place that has free wifi should ours go out.

    Every so often I see a post on FB about living off the grid, in a secluded cabin, for 6 months and asking if you would do that for $1M. No. I would not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking back, it's hard to believe we once did live without TV and Internet. I can remember, as a small child, my mom, auntie, myself and others sitting around listening to a radio.

      Delete