Monday, December 21, 2015

Here’s the Rub

Today was one of those days I wanted to lounge around all day in my sleeping clothes.

However, there was a note on the door that I and others were scheduled to sign required paperwork between 11:00 and 12:00 in the office. So dressed I was by 11:00 and second in line downstairs signing.

Remembering what happened to maintenance man and his wife with the “We never told you that” and recalling how many times I’ve heard residents advise, “Get a copy … Get it in writing ... Tape record the conversation”, though the paperwork didn’t seem that important, I played it safe by setting the cell phone to record.

It’s a dirty shame we have to be so paranoid, but there it is.

With nothing going on this week, I’ve been able to devote a lot of time to finishing touches on that needlepoint project. The swarovski crystals I purchased for the shawl -- to replace the beads I tossed, are not working out. Small as they are, the beads are too large. Being as how I’m a bit of a perfectionist, I decided to repurchase the pattern just for the beads.

Cost of that particular pattern, new in package, runs as high as $25. Placing a bid on eBay, I won at $10.25 plus 3.54 shipping.

“Shipping”?

Now here’s the rub.

“Shipping” puts me at the mercy of the Mr. Infallible “that doesn’t happen” mailman.

There was a knock on the door along about 5:00 this evening. It was a neighbor from the opposite side of the complex delivering mail that ended up in his box. Unfortunately for me, it wasn’t my two packages. Instead, it was mail for my depressed neighbor.

Consequently, though Mr. Infallible believes he doesn’t make mistakes, obviously he’s delusional.

So this is me, crossing my fingers, praying, hoping the package gets in the right box or, if it does go wrong, it lands in the hands of someone like the honest gentleman from the opposite side of the complex.

2 comments:

  1. Perhaps if you let the mailman know that a package is coming to you, he will be a little more alert this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me, he's not the kind of man to be approached in that way. I'm thinking, however, now that I made a trip to the post office, the clerk spoke to him, and I also risked my life by speaking to him directly, daring to suggest he might have made a mistake, he will automatically now be more alert. I'm also going to pay more attention to shipper's date of expected delivery. I made the mistake of being too patience waiting for the other two deliveries, not questioning shippers as to why taking so long to receive, not noticing expected delivery had passed by ten days.

      Delete