Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Rain Again, What?!

That nice warm summer weather was great while it lasted.

It’s hard to believe it went from being so uncomfortably hot that I was running the A/C to keep cool, to running the heater to stay warm the very next day, but so it is as it rained all night.

Not knowing what we’re in for this time around, insofar as how long and how hard it’s going to hit us, I rushed out to fill up the tank with gas, and made a stop by Trader Joe’s, just ahead of the change in weather yesterday afternoon.

I’ve been eating clean since Monday, my stomach feeling better every day I get further away from the wheat flour in those Girl Scout Cookies that set off the angry gut, and I’d gone to Trader Joe’s to add Himalayan Pink Salt Crystals to my determination to eat healthy.

Salt is salt, but the Himalayan Crystals are supposedly rich in minerals, better for the body than iodized sea salt and beneficial in strengthening bones, lowering blood pressure and detoxifying the body of toxins.

We shall see what a pinch here, a pinch there does for me.

I was shocked to see a security guard at the entrance of Trader Joe’s, especially in that upscale area of town. When I expressed to the checker how odd and out-of-place it seemed, he advised there’d been a rash of purse thefts inside the store and management was taking precautions.

Good on management, but color me shocked and glad I always wear a fanny pack.

After hearing about the thefts, knowing the area was no longer all that safe, instead of turning on the cellphone to hunt Pokémon while walking back to the car, I kept the phone off and paid attention to my surroundings.

I did see a young man and young woman sitting in their car, looking out-of-place and with the car parked backwards for a quick get away. I also saw that some poor soul was having a very bad day.




How does something like that happen?

At any rate, there were no incidents while I was inside the store or on the lot, and looking online later to see if the purse thefts had been reported in the local paper, I learned this preying on the elderly has been happening at Trader Joe’s all over, in other states even.

The world is so crazy now, which is probably why the weather is following suit -- out picturing this crazy collective consciousness.

1 comment:

  1. I understand the targeting at Trader Joes. I have to drive through their parking lot to get to two stores where I often shop-school supply and Bible store. The Trader Joe customers are just so unaware of their surroundings. They wander into the path of cars going through the lot. I drive very slowly, with my foot over the brake, and my eye peeled for any of these oldsters. They just step out, paying no attention. They are the ones who will pay with cash, not the kind to use credit or debit cards. I've seen them in the stores.

    ReplyDelete