Tuesday, September 17, 2024

Signs of Fall

Ten points for the leaf that nailed this perfectly executed landing yesterday.

First Sign of Fall

I’d planned to let it stay — because I thought it cute; unfortunately, it flew off during the drive to the Pain Cave yesterday.

Second sign of Fall coming soon was when, in my unit minding my own business, I saw the wind blow a huge object onto the patio.


Instantly recognizing the object as Next-Door Neighbor’s patio umbrella, I knocked on her door, asked if she was missing anything from her patio.

She looked over towards her patio, seemed puzzled, so I said, "Your umbrella is on my patio".

"How in the world", said she.

She came over, strapped it tightly to its pole, took it home.

It was fortunate the top part landed on my patio, rather than the metal pole that might have damaged the screen or broken the patio window because, according to what Manager told us at that boring Community Meeting, it would have been considered damage to property that either I or Next-Door Neighbor would have had to pay for repairs.

One of the items on Manager’s list of complaints at that meeting was repairs costing the company too much. That in the future, us residents will be charged for repairs to our units ……… holes in the wall, the garbage disposal breaks down, the toilet refuses to flush, a lightbulb goes out, our responsibility now.

Holes in the wall, I knew about, made holes anyway, and am prepared to one day be charged for damages or claims to be made upon my family when I die.

Inasmuch as the garbage disposal is "not a food processor", we will be charged for repairs if maintenance determines it died from misuse.

If there is a problem with the toilet, we are to first try to solve the problem with a plunger. If we do not own a plunger (I can’t imagine not owning one), we are to purchase one because, if maintenance responds and fixes the problem with a plunger, we will be charged for the visit.

As far as replacing lightbulbs …… We will be charged for the new bulb. However, if we want to "go to Walmart, purchase a bulb", we have the option of installing the new bulb ourselves or putting in a workorder for maintenance to no cost install for us.

I can already see the lawsuits if some senior takes a fall trying to replace a lightbulb. Only Manager will then lie like a rug, "I never told them to do it themselves".

Third sign of Fall was my taking advantage of the cooler weather, getting off my lazy behind, got up and out walking early this morning — logging in 2 miles, 4,468 steps while listening to a mixture of country and K-Pop on the iPod ……… Morgan Wallen, Dasha’s new song Austin/Boots Stop Working, BTS, Stray Kids.

While out walking, I spotted Manager and Head Maintenance Guy ushering around an Inspector.

It’s that time of year again, when representatives of regulatory agencies inspect "20 percent of our apartments" to verify in compliance with qualification for federal tax credit program, which enables our rents to stay below market rents for this area.

There was only one Inspector, and he was in/out and off to parts unknown in record time.

The Activity Calendar indicated "12:30 – 1:00 Social: DIY Caramel Apples ……… Come to the Community Room to create and enjoy a gourmet caramel apple".

Sounded like fun, so down I went, arriving at 12:20, only to find the Gourmet Station consisted of a small container — empty already, that previously contained sliced apple bites and little cups of caramel to dip the apple bites in.

WTF!!!

Strike One for our new Activity Director.

As for management’s piddly shiz charges ………… bullcrap. If it's not in writing, not in the lease agreement, you're blowing smoke.

Put it in writing or STFU.

KAREN: I saw the TikTok you suggested a week or so ago on John’s Going Gently blog. Loved it then, loved seeing it again and …… If only we could.

21 comments:

  1. They'll charge you for light bulbs so they can give you apple slices and tiny cups of caramel????

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my opinion management has to address any maintenance issues mentioned in the lease agreement, but I've never heard of an apartment that does a simple toilet plunging or changes standard light bulbs for residents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand how management would be frustrated to get a call to clear a plugged toilet, when a plunger would have done the work and, evidently, they wouldn't have brought that up unless it had indeed happened. The lightbulbs are a different matter, as they are high up on the ceiling in the closet, over the bathroom sink and in the kitchen. They can't expect us to buy our own bulbs, climb, replace those. It's dangerous for seniors and, if not in the lease, is inherently a maintenance issue.

      Delete
  3. That must have been the smallest caramel apples ever! No wonder people are moving out en masse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess they don't understand that it's cheaper to do better by the residents, than it is to have this constant turnover.

      Delete
  4. I will be outside, and it always makes me laugh when I see how and where some leaves land and where. I mean the chances.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my first up close and personal experience with a falling leaf.

      Delete
  5. So sad the leaf didn’t stay with the car. I thought the DIY caramel apples were going to be at least whole apples and those ready made, individual caramel wraps. What a joke!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Talk about false advertising. They really hyped it up with that "create and enjoy a gourmet caramel apple" and ended up playing us the fools.

      Delete
  6. Wouldn't your renter's insurance pay the damage for a broken window? Or other damage caused by one's own furnishings?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Renter's insurance would cover it, but to me it's more an act of God, not something I or my insurance should be saddled with and it's management's property that would have been damaged not by me. So, they fix it and duke it out with Next Door Neighbor, if they want someone to pay, as it would have been her umbrella that did the damage.

      Delete
  7. That caramel apple "activity" was joke. What was she thinking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evidently, she wasn't thinking. One piddly little package of apples bites was insulting for a group activity.

      Delete
  8. Love the leaf: an angel saying "hi." I'm in a nice apartment; I've never lived anywhere where the landlord changes the lightbulbs. It's too dangerous for me to look up to the ceiling, especially on a step-ladder. I've had too many patients who took stupid falls. I put lightbulbs on the list of things for my son to do. If that demand is in writing, hope they have a good lawyer! Spread the word to not try those dangerous things. Toilet tank pieces wear out too; not a tenet's problem. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took the leaf as something along those lines. Maintenance here has always changed my bulbs, even the one in the refrigerator, and never charged. It's just part of maintaining their property, and I double dare them to try to start charging me now, next time I need one replaced.

      Delete
  9. Charging you for things that maintenance should be taking care of is crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can try, but it just might blow up in their faces.

      Delete