Monday, September 2, 2024

Labor Day? It’s Still Monday

It’s been dead as a doornail here on the complex, and I don’t think it merely seems so just because I’ve morphed into a recluse, and thus out of the loop, but is an actuality.

Nothing interesting even popping up on the window cam, except I did see Gandalf showing up earlier in the week, performing that "this far and no further" ritual of walking to the edge of the walkway by the stairs, looking to his left then returning to the unit. However, strangely, he showed up just that one time.

So, is he still living down there with his mom or not? Who knows for sure, but I surmise so.

His brother Compton is no longer parking on the property, so I guess Manager got what she wanted — him gone …… or thinks she got what she wanted because he’s still on camera heading to/from work, but it’s during hours when the office is closed, no management personnel around to know any different.

He must be parking/hiding his car nearby.

All in all, it appears Ms. Neighbor's two sons are on the downlow, keeping a low profile, staying away from prying eyes and out of the crosshairs of management.

With the resident known as Red Light having moved and no one willing to take over her self-motivated job of planning BBQs for us residents, it’s not going to look much like a holiday around here today, except for the absence of staff.

For me, it’s just another Monday anyway — a workout this morning and a grocery run after.

I did however manage to have a three-day weekend, because Trainer rescheduled me beastmode last week (back-to-back workouts Wednesday and Thursday), so he and his team could travel out-of-town Friday for a weekend Muay Thai fighting event.

Unmotivated, and the weather still too hot, I did not leave the unit, train for a 5K that might be coming up at the University. Instead, it was three days of needlepoint and prison break. In addition to which, a great deal of time was devoted to putting out fires, as I received notification sensitive data had made it to the Dark Web.

Back in May, when I returned from Pride Week in Long Beach, I received a fraud alert on my credit card, which alert necessitated cancelling the card. This latest breach seems to have stemmed from that incident, and I have a sense it was a bank employee, the one that assisted me in cancelled the card, who leaked/sold other even more sensitive data he collected during that conversation.

At any rate, all I could do this time was to put a lock on everything it was possible to lock, change passwords, and cross my fingers the scammers will find I'm not financially worth the effort.

It boggles my mind that there are people whose job it is to run phishing scams, find ways and means to defraud/take advantage of others.

If the scammers plan to use the information to file next year’s taxes in my name, reap the reward, they’re in for a surprise — find themselves liable for a bill to pay rather than a return, LOL.

Speaking of jobs, this Labor Day also marks the 14th year of my sliding the chute, or close enough as I officially retired on September 7.

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again ……… Time flies when one is not having to deal, on a daily basis, with functionally insane employers, various forms of racism and abuse of authority.

Though the flashbacks and trauma lives on, I consider myself one of the lucky ones to have gotten out alive, as I once thought I’d be like the 60-year-old Wells Fargo employee who was recently found dead at her desk, four days after she’d last clocked in.

I fully expected to be a little old lady keeling over dying at my desk, but would have hoped my death would have been noticed before people were alerted by the smell, as was the case with this employee.

A worse fate would have been coworkers trying to get rid of me by taking me on a hike and leaving me behind, as was the case for the insurance underwriter on a work retreat, who also made the news this weekend — rescued after a night stuck on 14,230 foot Mt. Shavano during a freezing rainstorm after being left behind by his 14 coworkers.

If I understand the story correctly, those coworkers did not report him missing for 8 hours, which was after the guy miraculously survived the night, managed to get a cell signal and call for help his own darn self.

Just goes to show, though the struggle to retirement is real, and leaves one with lingering trauma, it's better than dying at one's desk or being downsized out by coworkers.

24 comments:

  1. You're absolutely right -- retirement is the best part of being in the workforce!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's going by so fast. If only the working years went by that fast and these retirement years turtle along.

      Delete
    2. Shirley, I say the same thing, almost on a weekly basis. I am amazed at how fast the weeks fly by in retirement and the years really pile up quickly. I too have been retired for 14 years, the fastest 14 years of my life. If only the workweeks had flown so quickly and retirement weeks go very slowly.

      Delete
    3. You devote a lot of time to volunteering, so the years must seem to be going by extra fast.

      Delete
  2. Wow, I can't imagine what it would be like to go back to work after your co-workers didn't report me missing in such a dangerous situation! I can't imagine what kind of a guy he must have been at work that no one cared enough to report him missing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely going to be an awkward environment when all parties return to the office on Tuesday. I googled the guy's name to see what he looks like (Steve Stephanides) and he reads as the okay kind, maybe a bit too jovial, but one never knows why the others valued his presence so little.

      Delete
    2. I had not heard about the abandoned hiker. What the heck went wrong there? Who was in charge of the group? What were their method of keeping in touch while hiking? And when he didn't return? Sheesh.

      Delete
    3. Last I read, it was a charity hike raising money for World Kitchen and the coworkers have a lot of explaining to do as Steve was considered by medical personnel as lucky to be alive. If I were Steve, going forward, I'd not be trusting any food or drink offered by those coworkers.

      Delete
  3. You’re so right about retirement. It’s been more than 13 years for me. I can’t believe what I put up with and what I survived with my mental health almost in tact. The story of the Wells Fargo employee is heart breaking. Life and death on a cubicle farm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Work life shouldn't be as traumatizing as it was. I feel for those still on the "cubicle farm".

      Delete
  4. Retirment? What's that? I have a ways to go yet. I nice quiet Labor Day here. Later I have my uncle and two friends coming over for a small cook out with pock chops and Mexican street corn on the grill, and nibbly things to eat. And the weather is downright beautiful today. Sunny, breezy and slightly cool. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're already retired, my friend. With your fabulous life of going and doing taking over the better part of your life, you just don't realize that IS retirement. LOL.

      Delete
  5. 16 weekends left to work, then I'm retired! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy smokes, your stories of retirement foibles are terrifying. Glad you and I have both escaped such things. I've got you by a few as I retired 18 years ago. Even though my pension from an earlier job is small (tiny) it tickles me each month when the pittance is deposited into my account. Actually I've been getting that for over 19 years now! Yay! Gives me something to live for.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read about that corporate retreat. Wasn't that unbelievable. No more mountain climbing for me, as if.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously! What happened to the buddy system and no man left behind.

      Delete
  8. Omigosh, that abandoned hiker story happened here in my home state, but I'm just hearing of it here. The story I found just says it was "a Colorado company". Hmmm...
    Happy 14th anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I'm reading is the guy lived in Florida, worked for a global insurance firm called Beazley and the hike happened in the mountains of Colorado. The CEO of Beazley, based in London, is "gathering facts about the expedition" and is "praising the Chaffee County Search and Rescue -- South, an all-volunteer rescue team in Colorado, for saving his employee's life". The Colorado Company is the good guys in this story.

      Delete
  9. I have to keep all my cards locked because there was a strange charge on one of my credit cards a few months ago. It's so infuriating that people can get a hold of your info so easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is why I prefer paying cash, but hotels and other businesses insist on having a card on file. Then they get hacked and you're hacked along with them.

      Delete
  10. Our neighborhood recently had someone found dead in his house after he had been dead for 3 weeks. When he moved in, years ago, he told everyone he was not interested in any social interaction. He did keep a lovely garden and that is how a neighbor finally noticed he was not keeping it up. What a grim end. JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fear that happens to those who do not socialize more often than not. Look how long it took me to realize something might be wrong with Next Door Neighbor. Turned out she was in the hospital but, as far as I know, I'm the only one to have realized she'd not been seen for weeks. I used to see that as my fate, but trainer tells me if he doesn't see me on a training day, and I've not called to tell him different, he's calling for a welfare check.

      Delete