Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Talk is Cheap

Yesterday was a day of much needed dryness and sunshine. According to the monthly activity calendar, yesterday was also listed as "Walking Club … Get your blood flowing with a morning walk around the property!"

What a great idea, thought I, except the meetup time was 9:00 a.m.

Retirement has spoiled me. There are very few things in life that will get me up and out before 11:00 a.m., but I so needed to get back into the habit of logging in walking miles, train for the next 5K, that I made the sacrifice — got suited up and began walking towards the office area promptly at 9 a.m., looking for this walking club.

Seeing no one but Activity Director, I asked, "Where’s the walking club?"

"I’m wondering the same thing", said she.

"Who organized this, who set it up?" I asked.

"I did", said she.

The story is a resident suggested it as an activity, others got behind the idea, so she (Activity Director) schedule it for Tuesdays, before 10:00 Pizza Day time.

"So who was it that made the suggestion?" I further queried.

Turns out, Walking Club was the bright idea of the neighbor I refer to as Red Light.

"So where is she (Red Light). Why are she and the others not here?" asked I.

It was a rhetorical question, because I could clearly imagine Red Light suggesting the activity and others yessing, let’s do it, knowing full well they were all talking out their arses at the time.

Talk is cheap.

After telling Activity Director that I’d pushed myself to get out early for this, Activity Director said, "I’ll walk with you", and that’s what we did for half an hour.

Seeing as how no one but Activity Director and I showed up, my guess is Walking Club is dead before even getting off the ground, but I'll check back in to see if things go differently.

Back in January, I’d posted two areas nearby where people have been parked, living in campers. One was this guy ……


I’ve since noticed that camper guy tries unsuccessfully to not be so obvious by moving the camper around, but always somewhere in this area … a couple times right alongside of the Pain Cave.


That's actually not a good place for him to park, as it obstructs the view of those of us driving out of the lot.

An accident waiting to happen, but hopefully not an accident that will involve yours truly.

So, anyway, I this morning mentioned to Trainer the roll-down steel shutters suggested by Debra, saying I’d looked online and saw they appeared cheaper than constantly having to replace that expensive window, the bars and holes in the walls.

He said cheaper sounds good but, for the time being, he’s hired security of sort. "Security" being the camper guy who vacillates between parking alongside the Cave and the Auto Zone store.


Trainer said he spoke to the guy in the camper, said he’s tired of the Cave being broken into, and made a deal with the guy — camper guy won’t have to keep moving, can stay in that location, his presence acting as a deterrent to the bad guys. In return, Trainer will see that no other business owner in the area harasses camper guy about parking there, tells him he has to move.

Cool, but what’s not to say the presence of camper guy has no effect on the bad guys at all — that is unless camper guy is built like Jason Momoa, has MMI training, and weapons up the wazoo in the camper.

If Trainer is not on board for relocating, I hope he at least looks into the steel shutters because I’ve little doubt the bad guys will be back irregardless of camper guy.

20 comments:

  1. Thanks for passing along my suggestion about the roll-down steel shutters. Time will tell if trailer guy's presence will act as a deterrence but unless he's parked his rig right by the front door, I can't imagine it being effective. However, best wishes to them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine it being effective either, but I didn't want to burst Trainer's bubble by saying so.

      Delete
  2. I'm surprised the cops let the truck park so close to the stop sign. We're presuming the camper guy isn't the one breaking into the Pain Cave?.... You're gonna be hired as part of the management team next! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Break-ins began long before camper guy came along. Probably some meth heads from the trailer park.

      Delete
  3. Ay-yi-yi! With your western longings, don't you know any sheriff's who might like to round up a posse and quiet things down?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you suppose Camper Guy is actually Jack Reacher? Debra’s roll-down shutters sound like a much better idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be awesome if he was a Reacher, a Rambo or some other undercover badass to turn the tables on the bad guys.

      Delete
  5. Too bad about the walking group. Can camper guy legally park that close to a stop sign? Steel shutters would seem like a more logical solution but I guess time will tell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He not only cannot park that close to the stop sign, he cannot legally park overnight and live there, but he does and will be until some attentive cop comes along and makes him move.

      Delete
  6. I think it might be a good thing to have Camper guy around to keep the riff-raff out.

    And steel shutters are a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope springs eternal, but I don't think camper guy's presence will make a bit of difference. Steel shutters will do the job if Trainer goes that way.

      Delete
  7. Same where I live, with the walking club starting too early in the morning for me. They do get 5 to 7 walkers that time of the day, especially when the summer heat rolls in but this time of the year the club isn't well attended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It ticks me off that residents complain about the lack of activities, asked for this walking club and then didn't show up for whatever reason.

      Delete
  8. I think the steel roll downs are a terrific idea. I hope trainer finally gets around to buying them! JanF

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm making some assumptions here: Pain Cave proprietor has insurance that handles paying the repair for the break-ins. Insurance company charges less than the cost of roll down shutters. Insurance company will get fed up, raise the insurance rates and/or require the proprietor to do something different. The vagrant in the trailer is not licensed security firm so the insurance company won't let that solution go for very long, nor will the police.

    On another note about the vagrant, I am surprised he is not parking in a Walmart parking lot. His trailer and pickup look fairly decent so he should be able to do that for awhile, perhaps moving from Walmart to Walmart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too am assuming the insurance company is going to raise his insurance and perhaps get fed up, cancel him altogether. I don't know why camper guy, and the camper that parks in the vacant lot further down the street, don't park at Walmart. It may be because it's safer here, in a neighborhood, as Walmart is located in a lonely desolate area. It could be a win win situation if both campers were allowed to park overnight on the lot where Trainer's business and other businesses are located, as night security; move in the mornings to other spots.

      Delete
  10. There are two campers around my neighborhood that have a bunch of homeless in them and they park in different spots too. Maybe camper guy will deter anyone from breaking in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what Trainer is counting on ... that his mere presence in that area will be a deterrent.

      Delete