Sunday, March 17, 2024

Luck of the Irish

Guess I have just enough Irish in me for this to be my lucky day because, while logging in miles around the complex, I spotted an elusive roadrunner — a sign of magic and good luck.


Not a Leprechaun leading me to a pot of gold, but I’ll take it.

I’m not kidding about the Irish blood.

Family history handed down is that back in the day of slavery, we were on a plantation owned by an Irishman. One can imagine how he took advantage of the female ancestors, fathered children, mixed that ethnicity into the blood.

My mom was saddled with a completely Irish name, so I never doubted what I’d been told; nevertheless sent my saliva into one of those DNA places a few years ago and received an ethnicity estimate of not only "Ireland 2%" but a significant percentage of Wales and some Scotland.


I may be related to some of you readers across the Pond, and the mixture may explain why it was that, in junior high school, I was the only Black girl to sign up for folk dancing. Even got A+ on the Irish Jig. Guess it was in the blood.

Believe it or not, I still remember some of the steps to that long ago jig.

Also, while out walking, I spotted a sign on the lawn of the next building over.


The sign reads "Lost Phone. The last GPS signal was right here and it said that the person that found it might be riding a bike or a skateboard or may be driving slow. Reward".

We have two guys living here who ride bikes. Neither looks like the Honest Abe type.

The likelihood of a skateboard on the property is doubtful, as is the likelihood of a car "driving slow" up the walkway, so I’m guessing a motorized wheelchair.

No matter how one looks at it, he or she won’t be getting the phone back because, if the person who found it were honest, they would have immediately called numbers on the phone to try to locate the owner.

It's sucky to know we have people living here that, when packages are dropped off at the wrong door or placed in the wrong mailbox or valuable items, like a cellphone, are found, that they don't do the right thing and turn the items over.

14 comments:

  1. Well "Beep, Beep". How cool to see a road runner. I've never seen one. Nice to know you've got some genuine, green not required Irish in ya! Have some green tea today! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never seen road runners before moving here. I've since seen one in 2018, two in 2022, I think one in 2023 and now this one. Few and far between, but fascinating.

      Delete
  2. Top o' the mornin' to ye, Irish colleen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We used to see Roadrunners in Palm Springs all the time. Usually cautious but there was one who would hang out on the patio of a local restaurant. Adorable. I could see where the cartoon version came from. I don’t have even a dollop of Irish in me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to follow and videotape one at a previous sighting. They are unusually fast and I ended up falling backwards over a bush while tracking it. Have you DNA tested, actually know not a dollop of Irish?

      Delete
  4. That Lost Phone sign is amazing ... be on the lookout for slow bike riders or wheelchairs!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe set a trap, drop something that looks valuable and if it's not returned in x number of minutes, sets off a glitter bomb.

      Delete
  5. The roadrunner was fun to see!
    I want to compliment you on your beautiful speaking voice! It's like melted chocolate! You could do readings very well. Always a treat when you narrate here. JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Beautiful speaking voice ... Like melted chocolate" ... Nice of you to think so 😊.

      Delete
  6. Roadrunners are fun to watch. I think yours disappeared when he ran to a phone booth to call Acme!

    ReplyDelete