Tuesday, March 12, 2024

Déjà Vu

Missing yesterday’s workout, meant I also missed yesterday’s grocery run.

Now running low on some items, out on others, I couldn’t wait until after Wednesday’s workout, made a special trip to the market this morning. Only, instead of the corner market, I drove to the location three miles away … the one where I observed two shoplifters on the same day. I drove there not just because their produce is fresher, but because I’m once again having an issue with a security guard — the corner market’s newest security guard.

Where do they find these creepy security guys?

Arriving at the other market this morning, parking in the lot, I spied a sketchy looking guy near to where I was pulling in.

If he was planning on victimizing someone, it appeared that since I stayed locked in the car, eyes on him, he sensed I was not the one and walked towards the car two spots away from mine where sat a lone white lady.

Walking up to her door, he looked to be saying something to her, whereupon she opened her car door, reached over to her purse, put it on her lap, pulled out something I assume was money, gave it to him.

I was on guard to grab one of my "tools" from the car to help her if things went bad, like he tried to grab her purse or pull her out and commit carjacking.

Instead, he took what she’d given him and quickly walked away.

Once she exited her car and began walking towards the market — walking using a cane I might add ... the perfect victim, I approach and scolded her with, "What you did was dangerous".

She looked sheepish and said, "I know".

"Next time someone approaches you like that, stay in your car, doors locked, nod no to whatever is being said to you. Honk your car horn to draw attention if things go bad".

Then I walked away, did my shopping.

So much for minding my own business, but I felt compelled to educate her.

After loading the car with groceries, preparing to drive off the lot, what did I spy over in a corner of the market lot but a possible slacker.


Windows all covered with shades so no one can see in .... is this why yesterday's technician was three hours late ... he was taking a nap like the tech inside this van appears to be?

Is this déjà vu … the same slacker as yesterday?

Stranger things have happened.

Speaking of stranger things. I yesterday saw Trainer’s mall cop had moved his mobile home back to alongside the auto parts store.


Today, he’s neither parked over by the Cave or the auto parts store. He's nowhere in sight.

What gives?

I’ll have to ask Trainer at tomorrow’s session.

I’ll fill you in on this latest security guard issue after I’ve cleared my head, am less angry at experiencing market déjà vu ... another security guard who leers at me, makes me feel so uncomfortable that I dread walking in, am forced to shop elsewhere.

20 comments:

  1. Good for you for educating that woman. People really need to be careful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's unbelievable how clueless some people are. While in the market, I saw a woman walk away from her cart to look at something further up the isle, with her purse left unattended.

      Delete
  2. You educated that lady with the cane -- I hope she takes your advice next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too because she was very lucky this time. Probably because he knew I knew what was up and was watching him.

      Delete
  3. Good for you! I’ve found myself in situations like that where I realized someone was making themself an easy target and I just couldn’t keep my mouth shut. A couple of times i even chased away a scam artist. Once I told a con artist woman that the couple were my parents and then explained to them what she had been up to. They spoke no Spanish and had no idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was clever to pose as the pair's parents. The fact that you had to chase away scam artists "a couple of times" blows my mind that so many don't know how to take care of themselves when out and about.

      Delete
  4. Anyone can “qualify” to be a security guard, per someone I know who worked as one. I’m sorry you have to deal with yet another bad one. Nice of you to remind that woman of the right thing to do. A friend recently left the grocery with a full cart, including TP on the bottom rack. It slid off on the way to her car and a man snatched it up and was walking away with it. She got it back but stopped shopping there. What is wrong with people?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "What is wrong with people?" If I had a penny for every time I ask myself that question I'd be financially set for life.

      Delete
    2. “What is wrong with people” should be my mantra. Olivia

      Delete
    3. Olivia, I'm seriously thinking of adding a t-shirt with that question ... "What is wrong with people?" to my collection.

      Delete
  5. Darn I forgot to include my name on my comment with TP story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad you took the time to talk to that lady and I think ( hope) it will guide her for the future.
    Can hardly believe the magnetism you have over these various guys! JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Add "street educator" to my resume, LOL. As for the security guard, I'm thinking of taking the passive aggressive approach of mailing a letter to market management asking them to instruct their guards not to make female shoppers uncomfortable by leering, looking them up and down, smirking and other surreptitious unprofessional behaviors. Keep their eyes to themselves, look for shoplifters not women to bother.

      Delete
  7. I can't believe that people still give money to the people coming up to them in the parking lots. That was dangerous so I'm glad you said something to her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Ya need to plant a fruit tree on your balcony and water up some tomato plants. Nice to watch over that nieve woman. Letter to store management might help. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm willing to bet she won't take heed until something bad happens.

      Delete
  9. 'Course, the "lady" coulda pulled a gun on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Purse in one hand, cane in the other, I highly doubt that.

      Delete