Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Misunderstood the Assignment

Tuesday's walking club did not go as expected — not just because no one but Activity Director showed up, but because I misunderstood the assignment and missed the walk.

Activity Calendar indicated 8:45 - 9:00, which no way did I interpret as a measly 15-minute walk. Instead, I'd assumed we were to gather between 8:45/9:00, set off walking at 9.

That’s what I did last time ....... arrived 9:00, caught AD rounding a corner, walked from that point not knowing she was actually finishing the walk and chose to walk with me since I was there.

So suited up and ready by 8:30 yesterday, not wanting to arrive too early, I waited until 5 minutes to 9.

Arriving at the pool area, seeing no one, I assumed AD was a no show, waited until 9:00 sharp just in case she showed and, when 9 arrived started heading back to my unit when AD rounded the corner, looking like she'd just been on a hike.

"Did you walk already?", asked I.

"Yes".

"By yourself?"

"Yes".

"But I thought you'd be taking off at 9:00".

She clarified the actual walk was from 8:45 to 9:00.

Seems a short while, but doesn’t mean I have to stop after 15 minutes.

So, anyway, since no one showed up, I suggested Walking Club is a bust, that she should take it off next month's calendar.

Bless her heart, she's not ready to give up. Plans to put the activity on next month’s calendar ... every other Tuesday, 8:45 a.m. 

I'll be there.

My not understanding the assignment happened to be fortuitous, because I had lots to do yesterday.

Instead of walking, I spent the day clearing out the kitchen cabinets .... all of them, even under the sink. No easy chore, but required for pest control guy, due to treat the unit this morning.

Red Light had been worried about TinTin’s furniture and began preemptively setting up traps around her own unit, because TinTin revealed the reason she’d relocated to our quad — her former neighbor was a hoarder which hoarding resulted in a roach problem, not only in TinTin’s unit but in her furnishings as well …. the furnishings TinTin brought with her to our quad.

Sure enough, I spotted a handful of the little bastids last week, immediately called for pest control to treat the unit before things got out of hand.

Of course, pest control guy only comes once a month on Wednesday at 11:00, so I had to give up this morning’s workout.

Instructions for the day was to have all the cupboards bare and, once pest control guy treated the place, leave the unit, not come back for three hours.

No problem. I had a plan ...... spend the 3 hours taking care of a non-fasting blood test the doctor had requested, drop into Sprouts for product I can’t find nearby, do some banking, hunt for the illusive purple Pikachu recently release into the wild.

It was a 45-minute wait for the blood test, so I finally had time to get some reading done.

I’ve The In-Between to finish, also The Old Gays Guide to the Good Life.

I chose the Old Gays Guide because it makes me laugh, whereas the In-Between brings me to tears, and sobbing in public is not cool.

I plan to get the car serviced next week, which will give me even more time for reading, and possibly hunting in a different area as I still didn't run across that special Pikachu in Redlands.

So, anyway, the good news is the unit has been treated.

Bad news is that I’m now tasked with putting all this clutter back in place.



Clearing the cupboards gave me an opportunity to toss unused and expired products. I’m now going to take my time putting things back ……… start with what I really need and use, which will give me an idea of what I no longer need taking up space.

Less is more.

16 comments:

  1. I don't know of any walking club who walks for just 15 minutes. That would be easy to misunderstand. If you see anymore creatures in your apartment, I rely on those "Roach Motels" that are the little brown boxes with opened ends. They're sticking inside, and you can flip them over to catch a few more. I like them cuz I don't have to look down and see what's caught. Oooo, but be careful, you might catch a friendly little gecko. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I didn't think the wind would blow the boxes away, I'd set them up on the outside stairs to keep those creepy lizards away.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. You have no idea. It was like prepping for a move, but I burned a lot of calories.

      Delete
  3. I would have never thought the walk would be fifteen minutes; you barely get your heart rate up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know it's not just me who thought that way but, considering her clientele, I can understand why Activity Director aimed low.

      Delete
  4. Hopefully the pest control people can get a handle on the roaches before they start multiplying and spread everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly hope so, but turns out others are also having a problem. First time I've experienced this in the many years I've lived here. I think they should treat the entire building at one time, but I've learned others don't want the work of clearing out the cabinets.

      Delete
  5. .
    How strange to only walk for 15 minutes. Am I missing something? That is a big undertaking of putting it all back but I bet it felt good now with everything back in its place and neat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will when I get around to it. Right now I'm still thinking about how I want to arrange things to be neater, more functional, not like before. I'm beginning to think the 15-minute walk was just to get residents out and motivated. So far it's not working. It's difficult to get up that early for most, but I'm trying to train my body to get motivated earlier than 11:00, so it works for me.

      Delete
  6. I hate spotting one of those little devils. (roaches, not walkers) Means I have to get out some traps once again. Why can't the cat get 'em?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping one treatment is enough, so I don't have to do all this work again.

      Delete
  7. Be glad that TinTin didn't bring bedbugs with her......that happened to my daughter once in an old building in Boston. She had to throw everything out. Nightmare. Roberta

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are making me feel like a slacker at going thru stuff and organizing/culling. I am rather stuck right now... I've been doing it, but have such a mess that it all created in the wake of it. A drawer broke that had too much in it and has prompted me to consider having to do what was previously unseen and thus I'd procrastinated on dealing with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A drawer breaking from too much stuff is hilarious and definitely a sign to cull. Tough work, but so satisfying when completed. My kitchen cabinet reorganization is now so aesthetically pleasing that I keep opening the cupboard just to look. Doesn't take much for me to be entertained.

      Delete