Sunday, March 21, 2021

People Ugh!

It’s looking like my initial guess ─ that it’s Assistant Maintenance Guy (AMG) who has tested positive for Covid and is now in quarantine was correct, because I haven’t seen him working with Head Maintenance Guy (HMG) since the notice was posted.

AMG is the older of the two, and much nicer, so I hope his being older doesn’t have a negative impact and he recovers as quickly and as well as HMG ─ who is probably the one who infected him.

And speaking of being infected ... I can’t believe, after all this time, that I still have to tell people to back up off me, keep your distance but, twice this last week, I had to do just that.

First was when I was collecting mail which, by the way, management has had to put up this sign.


They’ve built a fortress to deter mailbox break-in, and some resident or residents are evidently leaving the door to the fortress open.

A set up to come back later and pillage?

Possibly because, when you let go of the handle, the door automatically slams shuts. It would take some effort to hold the handle, slowly allow the door not to slam shut.

So anyway, when I pick up mail, see another person walking that way, I stand way way back and wait for them to pick up their mail, because the walkway is tight and I'm quite serious about people being too near me.


I expect everyone to do the same when I’m in the walkway and I’ve not had a situation when they don’t. Maybe they don’t stand as far back as I do, which I’d prefer, but at least they let me in and out before they enter the walkway. Except once last week, Miracle Guy began walking into the walkway when I was already in the space.

Miracle Guy is the resident who’s mom said that, in his younger years, he’d been shot on two separate occasions. He himself bragged to me “I’ve been molotov cocktailed, shot AND stabbed”, which prompted me to respond “You’re a walking talking miracle”.

I never asked what he was into that drew such treatment though, karmically speaking, he had to have been involved in bad stuff, but evidently God wanted him here and he seems to be okay except for walking with a limp and a speech impediment, tied to some residual brain damage, that makes him difficult to understand at times.

So, anyway, when I opened the fortress and saw him walking into and up the walkway, getting closer and closer, intending to enter with me, I had to hold up my hand and yell "STOP, WAIT!"

He did, and moved to under the stairs until I got my mail and walked out, but damn. Why do I have to tell you.

Then on Friday, I popped into the market after that morning’s workout. A young girl, around 10 /11 years old, made herself noticeable by bouncing around the market like she’d had too much sugar.

Of course, she and her dad had to get right behind me in the checkout lane.

When I reached the cashier, I noticed the girl was bouncing around in front of her dad’s cart, which placed her much too close to me. I would say about 3 feet, or less, rather than the 6 if she’d stayed with her dad behind their cart.

She was a child, so I didn’t yell. I just calmly held up the palm of my hand, said “Six feet please”, whereupon she backed up as much as she could, being as how she was in front of her dad’s cart, and at least stopped bouncing around.

I’ll have to remember to wear my “Six feet back or six feet under” tee to workouts when I plan to market after.

PEOPLE, young and old, UGH!

So that’s been my week, a week that’s flown by way too fast.

No word yet on if Community Manager has of yet been served with the Apache’s restraining order.

The craft kit left by Activity Director is still on my to-do list and, as if I don’t have enough exercise equipment in this tiny unit with a balance ball and indoor bike, I saw a TikTok promo advertising a “smart” hula hoop.

Now, I love hula hooping. Would hula hoop for hours as a kid and, off/on over the years have tried to get back into that fun activity, but became frustrated at the continuous drops and having to bend over pick up as I tried to get my rhythm back. Not to mention, once the crazy girl moved into the downstairs beneath me unit, she’d have had a fit with my hula hoop drops, so I tossed it.

A “smart” hoop clips onto your waist like a belt and your movements spin around an attached weighted gravity ball, which serves as the hoop.


It’s still frustrating as I continue to try to get my grove back but, fortunately, a lot of calories are burned in the trying, and at least there’s no dropping.

11 comments:

  1. interesting twist on ye olde hula hoop. I remember having one of those as a kid. WERK IT, GURL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a thought ... get a hula hoop that measures twelve feet in diameter and wear it wherever you go. It will force people to stay at least six feet away from you on all sides, and I bet since it's so big, it'd be a heckuva workout!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a little too extra. LOL. But it reminds me ... and this is probably before your time, reminds me of the hoop skirts I wore in Junior High. Maybe it's time to bring those back to ensure self-distancing.

      Delete
  3. I loved my old hula hoop back in the 60's!
    This is a great new update and I hope you enjoy using it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, it's a challenge, but I'll eventually get the hang of it.

      Delete
  4. I just ordered a hoop. I'm going to quit coming here. It's costing me money!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you really? LOL. If so, you may need to order two in order to extend the waistline.

      Delete
    2. I was wondering about that. I'll find out in a few days.

      Delete
  5. I was never good with the hula hoop or baton twirling/catching. I guess I should be glad I had as much fun as I did.

    ReplyDelete