Monday, March 8, 2021

Caged

Having spent the entire weekend indoors, decompressing from last week’s events, i.e., the grandsons, Cat Lady, I woke up thoroughly rested and ready to experience another week of life.

It’s not my nature to be a complete slouch, so I did manage some exercise time on the indoor bike, read the instructions and learned how to use the new electric coffeemaker.

Coffee tastes less bitter and the new kettle seems to be working out well except, forgetting that after percolating it goes into keep warm mode, I burned my hand ... twice, because warm equated to scalding hot.

Since I sprung for that drive cam, that now does not work (because I evidently did something wrong) and I can’t return because I didn’t keep the packaging or receipt, I’m holding onto the percolator’s box and receipt. Which is a good thing because I almost did something that would have warranted return.

I loaded the coffeemaker with grinds and plugged into the wall yesterday. It struck me as odd that I didn’t immediately hear it percolating, but I went on with my morning. THEN, a funny smell began to permeate the unit.

I couldn’t pinpoint the smell, kept asking myself, “What’s that smell?” and had a sudden realization of having forgotten to add water to the coffeemaker.

Fortunately, I caught my mistake before the kettle blew up or turned black inside but, had either occurred, I’d have returned as defective NOT as user error. LOL.

Ready to seize this day, I headed out, had this morning’s workout, came out once again not stiff/sore, so I popped into the market where I found Lysol Spray on the shelves ─ for the first time since this pandemic began (a sign things are getting better), no limit, but only three left. I took two, returned to the complex, unloaded groceries, headed down to the mailbox and found management had finally done something about the mailbox break-ins and attempted break-ins.


It’s a security gate and door ─ evidently installed over the weekend.

I seriously doubt management did this of their own accord, more likely the post office ─ tired of their equipment being damaged, told management to do something or they’d cease deliveries to this complex.

A note indicates, to get in, we use our “common area key”.

So, unless the culprit breaking into mailboxes is a resident who has a key, or someone who has access to the key because they live with a resident, we should be okay insofar as break-ins for a while.

I say “for a while” because, looking at the handle, it doesn’t look like much of a challenge for a seasoned criminal to unscrew or pry loose.


A cage is a novel approach to doing something, and it fits quite well with the animal print manicure I gave myself over the weekend.

I did my toes as well.


I’ll leave you with my unsolicited opinion of last night’s interview ─ Oprah with Harry and Megan, which is DAMN! But not surprising because it mirrors Princess Diana’s experiences ─ loneliness, lack of support, thoughts of suicide while being a part of the Royal Family, or shall I say The Firm, or The Institution, Organization ... anyway you say it, sounds like a business.

The Firm's track record is pretty dismal (Diana, Fergie, Megan) and dispels that fantasy of “Some day my prince will come” and “They lived happily ever after”. Inasmuch as I seriously doubt Harry and Megan will be allowed to go on with their lives without interference by the royals or the press, why Megan is bringing another child into this mess is beyond me.

16 comments:

  1. I find it interesting that here in America we side with The Prince and his Bride, whereas my Welsh Relatives in Wales side with The Firm and are protective of the Royals even tho' the English have treated the Welsh, Irish and Scotch Races horribly forever, so I'd have no Love lost myself! Wanting a normal Life and not having all the restrictions and no life of their own is understandable for Harry and Meghan... not to mention the Elephant in the Room, she's an American and a person of Color, so that went over like a lead balloon I'm sure with The Firm, from the Jump! I still feel Diana's Death was a Hit, so did her Boyfriend's Father, who is still pressuring for answers of his Son's Death and hers... which I don't blame him, and he's got the Money and influence to put a lot of pressure on, tho' it's doubtful he will ever have the closure he wants and needs to bring about Justice. Anyway, those Kids seem Happy together and they have a Family now, we've all brought Children into a messy World, Kids are pretty resilient in spite of it. I Wish them only Happiness and the Joys Life can bring... they are the only ones that can bring about a Fairy Tale Life in the end, the one they envision for themselves... despite what anybody else thinks/feels about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, one reason the British are apparently 'siding' with the royals is because we are more aware of protocols and the finance situation. One could pick a ton of holes in the interview but really it's just a very sad situation. They've had their say, let it go and get on with their lives. There are people homeless and hungry who need our help, support and attention more.

      Delete
    2. I agree with you there that "there are people homeless and hungry who need our help, support and attention more" and I'm sure Harry and Megan would be happy to let it all go, just live and let live. If only others would let them. You'd think that, after Diana, the British would be clued in and not be as supportive as they are. Kinda sounds like the cult that continues to follow our No. 45 no matter what.

      Delete
    3. I can remember, Dawn, being online in a chat with a friend when it was announced Diana was in an auto accident. "I hope she's okay", I told my friend and was shocked when news later said she was dead. I immediately thought, and still feel, forces around the royals had her executed to keep her from marrying what they deemed "a foreigner". I don't know if Megan had it to do all over again that she'd involve herself with those people but it now is what it is and hopefully she can heal from all the trauma and move forward with her lovely Harry.

      Delete
    4. I agree, Royalty has Celeb Status whether they Welcome it or not, so not being under scrutiny is never going to be an option and when one married into any Family of high profile, the Privacy versus Public Access to your Life is always an Issue to be considered. Money doesn't 'cure' Racism as you well know, so to me the Financial aspect of it all is a moot point of why they chose voluntary exile. I think protecting their Children is more important to them than having Titles and Adoration. I found it interesting that their Son was not going to be given the same Protection as other members of the Family, forget the 'Title' bit... the Child will grow up in the Spotlight and be of that Lineage, whether it's liked or not... and because it isn't necessarily 'liked' due to his ethnicity, I'd think he should get added Protection, it just seemed strange he would be denied it... as if they want him at risk? Well, you know full well this is why BLM is pushing so hard, to Value the lives as much as any Human life, rather than having this perpetual devaluing of Human Life based on Race.

      Delete
    5. Last comment on this - they had security in the UK (the same as all Royals) which is funded by the tax payer - to expect the UK tax payer to pay for their security when they moved to the US is ridiculous. Archie has a title - he is Earl of Dunbarton. Not being a prince has nothing to do with his ethnicity!

      Delete
    6. Hopefully not your last. I'm enjoying hearing from across the pond. I can understand not wanting to fund their security. In fact, I'm pissed at my tax dollars going towards security for No. 45. And what kind of life (Megan, Harry or No. 45) is anyone having where they need 24/7 security. As for Archie's title, I don't know. I've read that yes, he does have a title, which means nothing to me either way. It's just Harry, Megan and Archie to me, and I bet to most Americans because titles don't mean much here but again I say, why bring another child into all this mess. P.S. even though it doesn't mean anything, or change anything, I did like the Queen's response to revelations in the interview.

      Delete
    7. Hi, enjoy reading your blog - a real slice of American life. (And I agree, why bring another child into the mess). Think I'm happier just being a regular ordinary person. Viv 🙂

      Delete
    8. I agree. Regular ordinary is great.

      Delete
  2. Your gate is all shiny and new for now. I'd go out and buy a can of black spray paint so over time you can touch it up before they let it start to rust.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason, the iron work we have around here ... and we have a lot, the porch railings, stair railings, two front entry gates, haven't rusted. So must be some sort of coating done during manufacturing process.

      Delete
  3. any lock picker can now get into the mail room.
    and the racism from the royal family - OMG! disgraceful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, LOL. Nice try on management's part, but I'm just waiting to see how long it takes for the lock to be picked. Inasmuch as all the royals have Black blood (see Queen Charlotte) and are what us darker skinned brothers and sisters call "passing", I don't understand why the royals and the British press can't just leave Megan alone.

      Delete
  4. You do have fun with your nails!
    I can't help wondering why Meghan and Harry wanted to do that interview.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Megan is traumatized and with the British press continuing to come after her, she couldn't hold it in any longer and wanted her say.

      Delete
    2. I'm glad they held that Interview and with Oprah too, it needed to be said.

      Delete