Sunday, September 22, 2019

Weekend in L.A.

In Los Angeles this past weekend for Saturday’s 6:00 PM Batman 5K was agony and ecstasy.
The agony first being finding one’s way to the race site in undriveable traffic.
After initially trying to find our way to package pickup, at 2:00, on foot, Twin 2 and I decided on the Uber thing. Entering the package pickup site, looking at all the people and activities already in full blast, I experienced the second agony when I tripped over a concrete thingy I did not see sticking out from another concrete thingy.
I didn’t exactly fall, instead I flew ─ propelled up into the air like a fledgling super hero, then into a dead drop onto concrete, face first. Fortunately, my big boobs hit the concrete first, caused me to bounce before my face could make contact. The bounce rolled me onto my back. I heard Twin 2 screaming, and then I blacked out. Upon coming out of a momentary loss of consciousness, I found two EMTs attending to me.
“Where’d they come from”, I later asked Twin2.
“Mom, you were really lucky. They were sitting at a table right next to where you fell”.
Horribly embarrassed, with hundreds of people witnessing my embarrassment, one voice in the crowd asking, “Did anyone call for an ambulance” and one of the EMTs, in a uniform identifying him as an EMT not a costumed character, replying to the voice, “Ma’am, I AM an EMT”.
It was a spectacle.
I just wanted to get up, get my race package and disappear, but the EMTs wouldn’t let me move.
I repeatedly said, “I’m find, just embarrassed” but they would not let me move until they made a thorough assessment.
The right knee had some scraped skin, hurt just a little, but the right hand was killing me. It later began swelling.
At any rate, once the EMTs had poked, prodded and became assured nothing was broken or cracked, they let me up and I ignored the pain as I went on with my life ─ picked up the race package and, against Twin 2’s prompting to head back to the hotel, get off my feet, took a few photos, totally unsure if I’d be able to return and compete at 6:00.

Batmobile and my Great Grandson Patches

Batman Doll Box



The Usual Suspects
Joker
Once word reached Twin 1 about the fall, the EMTs, the strangers rushing to get me water, yada yada yada, and Twin2 not wanting me to compete, Twin 1 told Twin 2 that mom has been looking forward to this 5K for a long time and wants her medal. Get a wheelchair and push her.
ROFLMAO!
I thought that was a great idea.
Twin 2 did not.
I think she was exhausted already ─ from the traffic and quite a lot of walking we'd had to do before we gave up trying to find the site and called for Uber, and was looking for a way out of walking an additional 3.12 miles at 6:00.
Later checking my Fitbit, we’d already put in over 4 miles, so I really couldn’t blame her.
Determined to rejoin all the fun at race site, I iced the knee and hand, then bandaged the knee, put a wrap on the wrist, pronounced no way was I not competing, and back we went, via Uber, to the site and took off 6:00 sharp from in front of City Hall.


I was expecting the bat signal to start us off, but no ─ that was happening late that night at the end of festivities, plus there was a lot to see, to do, and I wanted to experience it all, but Twin 2 was wiped out and granddaughter needed to potty and refused to use the porta ones, so we left soon after crossing the finish line.
Young people can’t hang.
How’d I do?
The hills were difficult, so I didn’t hurry, got ‘er done and though the official results are not yet in, feel my time was around 1 hour 10 minutes.
The ecstasy was an awesome medal and all kinds of fun on the course.

Riddler Group

Poison Ivy

Female Joker

Almost 5,000 of us on the road

Walking through one of the L.A. Tunnels, transformed into The Bat Cave, was EVERYTHING! So fun.


Finish Line Up Ahead




Icing on the cake was, after all was said and done, with Twin 2 getting tired, impatient, cross, she got caught up in the energy and had so much fun that she can't stop talking about how fun it was and is asking me about the Wonder Woman 5K and wants me to join her at the Hot Chocolate 5K in San Diego.
We'll see.

7 comments:

  1. Wow. You are amazing. Glad to hear you could persevere and get your medal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you were able to participate in the whole thing. It looks like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your stamina amazes me! I bet you have a lot of bruises... but well done indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, what fun to catch up with you. I'm sitting here vibrationing with happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are definitely a die hard and I don't blame you but I think I would have given up after the fall. Glad you pushed through. You're made of strong stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "to head back to the hotel, get off my feet"
    Go back to hotel and sit and wait to die. No thanks. Onward!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truth be told, I think she was more interested in getting off HER feet. LOL.

      Delete