Saturday, September 14, 2019

One Down, Two to Go



The Run the River for the Ridge 5K is off my to-do list, and it almost didn’t happen when the alarm went off at 5:30 A.M. ─ signaling get up, get dressed, get out, because I’d gone to bed with the knowledge forecast for the race site was 105˚.
But I talked myself into getting up.
Once arriving at the site, it almost didn’t happen again. I came close to turning around and driving back home when I realized I was in the mountains, which meant the course was likely to be elevations to climb.
Which it did turn out to be.
From the title “Run the River for the Ridge”, I’d assumed I’d be walking about a beautiful river.
But you know what is said about “ass u me”.
I resisted the urge to retreat, parked, pick up my bib and headed out at 8:15 ─ all the way looking for a river somewhere, anywhere.


No river, but plenty of ridges and miles and miles of what looked to be desert.


Along with looking for a river, I kept an eye out for horses.


Didn't see any of those either.
It was a pleasant walk, difficult because of the elevations ─ which caused me to slow down and focus not on getting up the ridge, but focus on listening to iPod music and putting one foot ahead of the other, but pleasant nonetheless.


Though I did not try to break any records this walk, I still managed to put in a respectable time of 1:01:40.
And wouldn’t you know, driving away from the site, there were the horses.


Arriving back at the complex, all the cones and ropes blocking us from entering my side of the complex were gone. I was able to park in my nicely repaved, restriped carport.
The crew has completed work, so that’s behind us, but a new drama is unfolding as numbers have been added to the free spots.
Some residents were thinking that meant they’d be assigned a numbered spot ─ preferably where they always park. Like the woman that acts like she owns the Community Room, who’d vented to me, “I’m glad they’re numbering the spots, because I’m tired of people parking in my spot”.
I resisted the urge to tell her she isn’t paying for a spot, so it isn’t hers.
Running into Apache as I was headed out this morning, he indicated Management said the numbers mean nothing, parking in the free spots is still first come first served. Which begs the question ... why number the spots at all.
Oh well.
One 5K down, two to go ─ this Saturday’s Batman 5K and next Saturday’s Life Stream Blood Bank 5K at the University.
That will be it for the remainder of the year, that is unless the Wonder Woman returns to Los Angeles in November.
Last year’s Wonder Woman was the most fun 5K ever, so I’m all over a repeat, depending on where in Los Angeles.
********* Just as I was about to post this update, a few moments ago, Apache knocked on the door to tell me Jeep Guy passed away during the night. 
He’d evidently returned from the nursing home just the day before (Friday) ─ probably because he was being difficult, and the Baker discovered him deceased in his unit this morning.
I’m shocked!
He was an active senior, zipping here and there in his new Jeep, until experiencing that fall in McDonald’s. From a broken pelvic bone to death in less than three months.
I’m stunned and saddened.

4 comments:

  1. A broken hip bone is the enemy of older people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. Broken bones are often the death of an older person. That's the reason the doctors are always doing all they can to keep us balanced and on our feet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sad about Jeep Guy. But yeah for you finishing 5K. You've got it all over me. Twice around the block walking Buddy and I have to pull myself up the stairs. I glad you were blessed with such health and stamina. Keep on Truckin'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alas, a Friend who worked at the Medical Examiner's Office for over 25 Years told me that falls breaking a Hip/Pelvis will mean Death within 6 months to most people over age 50! Sorry to hear of Jeep Guy being one of the statistics from his McDonald's Fall! Perhaps they numbered the spaces to aide Residents in recalling where they parked? You look fabulous and congrats on another successful Marathon! Clearly all your Training is paying off! Just that topography might have made me hesitant to give it a go... you're braver than moi!

    ReplyDelete