Monday, September 16, 2019

Life Goes On

Some of us seniors are taking Jeep Guy’s passing harder than others. He was very well liked and it was just so surprising how that fall in McDonald’s changed his life ─ and not in a good way.
Not the $$$$$ I foresaw from a lawsuit, but in his demise or, at least, contributing to it because we don’t actually know the cause of death.
The whole thing is just so sad, and scary, as it could so easily happen to any one of us ─ that some little something comes along and changes our life in not a good way.
Jeep Guy wasn’t that old, younger than I, and perhaps could have come back from it had his attitude been better.
But life goes on and, with a waiting list, folks clamoring to get in, new residents will be in his unit before the dust settles.
In fact, as I was heading out Sunday for an appointment with the locktician (sisterlocks braids beautician) there was a truck, two guys and two women, already hauling out some of Jeep Guy’s belongings.
Family I assumed, and smart to get to it before management lay claim to things.
Apache seems mesmerized by the Jeep and has voiced out loud “What happens to the Jeep?”
Apache doesn’t drive himself, because of dexterity issues in his hands ─ the result of an attempted suicide over a woman some years back, but he’s thinking the Baker might want to purchase it.
“I doubt it. Probably go to family”, said I.
Apache’s focus on the Jeep does not make him insensitive, it’s just what he does when a resident passes. He gets involved and tries to find what can be repurposed ─ passed on to other residents.
I guess that makes him somewhat of a scavenger.
I’ll have to remember to tell my girls, in the event of something unexpected happening to me, that Apache is allowed to remove whatever the girls do not want and also to tell him to not even think about the Jeep. LOL.
When I purchased the Jeep, I had granddaughter put on the lifetime parts warranty, as I figured the Jeep would next go to her. But, after what happened to the Saturn I’d passed on to her, never again. The Jeep is now earmarked for one of the grandsons.
On another note, the official race results from Saturday’s 5K are in and it finally happened ..... I came in No. 1 in my age category.
But hold the applause because there’s a caveat.
I came in No. 1 because I was the ONLY participant in the 71-75 age group. In fact, I was the oldest participant in the race .... period.
What a hoot!
Trainer said, in revealing my first place status, I should not add the because, but that’s not me. I’ve no problem with my winning strategy being known asif I can’t out pace them, I can outlive them. LOL.
Heading out for this morning’s training session, the truck, and one of the men I’d seen Sunday morning were back at the gate, looking to be having difficulties getting inI assumed to retrieve the rest of Jeep Guy’s belongings.
I pulled along side and asked, “Are you having trouble getting in?”
“Yes. My wife’s brother passed away and …”
So that was family I'd seen the day before, thought I.
Not hearing the remainder of what he said, knowing it was a member of Jeep Guy's family, I exited my vehicle and used my key card to let them through the gate.
When I returned from this morning’s  training session, they were still hard at clearing out his unit and the Jeep was gone.
By tomorrow it will be like Jeep Guy never was.
So sad.

4 comments:

  1. It would be my luck that 20 people from an old folks home with power wheelchairs would be in my age category.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad to think Jeep Guy just headed off to McDonald's one day never imagining his whole world was going to be forever changed.

    Well done on your run!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your right. Life is so fragile and that is why we need to enjoy each day as much as we can, even if it means sitting on the couch watching tv and doing crafts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still Smiling at your Race Strategy of Outliving them... it's a great strategy and honestly, you still deserve applause for still competing well after many people assume they never could. It is inspirational to probably more people than you might realize! As for Jeep Guy, yes, it is so sad when it's as if the essence of the person never existed after they pass on and evidence of their Life is all but erased.

    ReplyDelete