Sunday, September 8, 2019

Another Milestone


And I never planned for it.
The thought of retiring never entered my mind. For one, because I never thought I’d live this long. And then, when I kept living and got up in age, I enjoyed working so much that I just figured, and expressed to others, I’d be the old lady who’d just keel over dead at her desk.
This enjoyment of the work I performed was always there, even though I’ve had some of the worse working experiences one can imagine — racism, abuse of authority, functionally insane and just plain stupid bosses.
Even though I always enjoyed the clerical/secretarial work and mostly had great coworkers, those aforementioned experiences use to wear me out, but learning of and applying the spiritual principles of non-reaction, doing good to those who despitefully use you, I grew wise, mentally strong and those experiences became more like tests designed to get me to the next level, rather than challenges or situations to overcome.
I must have gotten passing grades because, even though I never imagined it or financially planned for retirement, the transition has worked out.
I often find myself looking back wondering what the heck I was thinking … that I so enjoyed getting up early in the morning, going to a job, that retiring was never on the agenda.
Irony is, three people I know who’d planned for retirement, talked about getting to that point for years, never got to enjoy it as they passed away so quickly after ─ within a year after having retired. 
I feel very blessed to have taken such a lickin in the workforce, to be now out of it and having fun.
Tomorrow is the big day for the paving project and so far so bad.
The chaos and confusion began late Friday afternoon.
As mentioned in the last post, us residents were given notification of the paving project, which included a map and detailed information as to which quads would have to move their cars from the South End to the North End.
Getting what I thought was a jump on musical parking spots, I moved the jeep to the North.
Along about 5:00 Friday, Apache knocked on the door and said management had posted No Parking Signs all over his area ─ the North End, where we’d been instructed to park.
So, I dunno.
And I don’t know if the paving crew knows either — which side of the property they are to begin working on tomorrow.
We’ll see what we see when they get here but, in the meantime, I’ve put the jeep back in my South End carport.
I’ll probably stick to not moving it until the paving project is complete to avoid having to deal with some desperate someone pulling into my reserved spot.
On another note, if you want to laugh yourself silly, go on Twitter and look up sharpie-gate. The creative ways in which folks are making fun of No. 45’s use of a sharpie to modify the hurricane map will keep you in stitches.
Here’s a taste.



5 comments:

  1. When someone talks about leaving their job for greener pastures, I tell them in about 6 months you'll find out that there is BS going on at every job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ain't that the truth and usually those pastures are greener because they're loaded with even more manure than the last farm.

      Delete
  2. You've done very well to enjoy retirement the way you do with enough money to fund your lifestyle considering that you didn't plan it. You are also working hard at keeping your good health, mentally and physically.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea, but those artists need more creativity.
    Bravo to you by they way. I too love my retirement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I endured a lot of politics, posturing and discrimination {being a Woman in a Man's World} in my Corporate Lives, but I found that it can be something that makes you better rather than bitter, challenging you to work with such excellence that your contribution cannot be disputed or denied. I remember my last Career they desperately tried to talk me out of the forced early retirement I had to take due to needing to devote all my time to full time Caregiving of The Man and The G-Kid Force. There was a monetary downside to having to do so, but I never regret the decision or my priorities. I still do part-time and seasonal work now, but just stuff I Love, and often not for pay. I do enjoy being Retired and next Month all my Pensions finally kick in by the 16th of October... whoop whoop!

    ReplyDelete