Monday, July 29, 2019

Pick Your Poison


And so I did this past weekend when, returning to the complex from Sprouts, needing gas, I stopped at a station just off the freeway, near to a new shopping center.
As the pump was going, I glanced around, checking out all the new stores and spotted a sign indicating “Sees” ─ the candy store.
Of course, if I didn’t want to be sick with nausea and stomach pains for three days, the best course after pumping gas would have been to get in the car, head back to the freeway and go home.
Instead, deciding I could handle three days of discomfort, I crossed over to Sees.


I had no idea it was Milk Chocolate Day, but perhaps that fact subliminally drew me to the place.
Not wanting to die, I stayed clear of anything with peanuts (because of the lectin), and settled for less harmful almond buds, pecan buds and chocolate milk patties.
In celebration of Milk Chocolate Day, Sees was giving out a bag of samples with each order, which I dropped the samples off in the Community Room.
I’d planned to put the bag on the counter for whomever came in but, seeing Older Sister, I asked if she could eat candy (some of our residents are diabetic and can’t). She said yes, so I gave her the bag of samples.
Seeing Sees on the bag, Older Sister looked like she’d just struck gold.
Not sharing with the other two ladies seated with her, she quickly looked in the bag, made a mmmm sound, popped one in her mouth, closed the bag and secured it by pulling it close to her breast as though in fear one of the other ladies would take from her.
LOL.
Did I get sick later?
A little.
Okay, a little more than a little, but with Milk of Magnesia and a Probiotic, it's been manageable and should be completely out of my system by Wednesday.
Was the poison worth the pain?
Heck yeah it was.
Will I choose that poison again?
Probably, but not any time soon.

11 comments:

  1. At least you moderate your Poison. Being an insulin dependent diabetic I try to avoid my Poisons at all, mostly I succeed. Every so often if I am particularly reckless, I will lightly indulge... since the Docs are not being all that successful anyway in stabilizing my numbers it seems like it's worth the rare risk of at least enjoying something. Oddly, would you believe when I do, the numbers hardly budge, which is Curious indeed... I've given up trying to figure out why my Pancreas, which is going on the fritz, is so random in what it processes, or doesn't!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After giving up so much, it's only fair to be allowed the rare risk of enjoying something.

      Delete
  2. "I dropped the samples off in the Community Room" NOOOOOOO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet you enjoyed every bite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OM Gosh yes! There's nothing like Sees candy with a cup of coffee.

      Delete
  4. As I have aged, I'm not as fond of chocolate as I once was. I love some of their toffees, or cashew crunch. I go into Sees to get treats for the staff at Columbia and the lady behind the counter always offers me a sample. Sometimes I take it and give it to Terry, but usually I decline the sample since it's chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live for the day I'm not fond of chocolate ... can see a Sees sign and not give in.

      Delete
  5. I prefer dark to milk chocolate, but will eat anything that's available :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too have placed myself in the Pain stage for the last two days. I guess that I will be a vegetarian for a while now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a very embarrassing experience with Sees. In winter time my husband and I walk indoors in our local Mall. We used to walk three times completely around going down all hallways. Before Christmas the Sees ladies were there with a special temporary set up in the middle of one hallway and they got to know us, so they'd kindly give us one sample as we went by. They gave us a lollipop, hard caramel inside and dark choc. outside. Those things last forever. Final trip around the Mall I noticed that I was getting lots of smiles from folks approaching us. I was thinking of Christmas cheer or that we looked cute, two oldies with lollipops and walking hand in hand! To my horror, when we got to our car, I glanced in the mirror and saw a big run of melted chocolate from the side of my mouth right down my chin! I was mortified but the Sees ladies thought it v. funny when I told them next visit!

    ReplyDelete