Sunday, July 14, 2019

Jury is Out

Now that I’ve got my days straight, I had no problem meeting up 7:00 Saturday morning with the walking group I was invited to join by Trainer’s client, but the jury is still out as to whether I’ll participate much with this group.
It’s way different than the run/walk group I was with for five years, that is until the group ended when the organizer had a job transfer.
That was more like a community group of runners, walkers, kids, beginners.
However many as had been looking for a 5K, and seen a posting on the site "Active", signed-up to participate in a fun run/walk. Generally 50 to 100 would show up, we'd all start off together along a set route. The runners would, of course, finish way ahead of us walkers, but there were activities at the start/finish line to occupy them until everyone had crossed the finish line, after which there was a medal ceremony and group photo.

2014 Crazy Tutu/Ugly Necktie 5K

There are only about a dozen or so in this new group and though it’s touted as “runners, walkers, kids, beginners”, it appeared those I met on Saturday were serious marathon runners, hikers, all of whom dispersed into different directions, did their own thing based on whether they wanted to go climbing, hiking, running.
So, it was me showing up, being introduced to folks ─ some seniors who are so accomplished at running that I’m told they usually medal in first-place in competitions, and then swoosh ... everyone scattered and disappeared.
That’s everyone except Trainer’s client and another lady, both of whom I’m sure would rather have gone hiking, but didn’t want to leave me, the newcomer, all alone.
The walk was okay, a route I’ll probably add to my places to go, but just the three of us walking along wasn’t worth joining a group for. I can do that kind of walk on my own and walking on my own is exactly what I did when they led me to a challenging steep incline.

It's steeper than it looks


We’d just passed the college, an area I’m comfortable being alone in, so I said I was done and planned to head back.
The two wanted to turn back to make sure I got safely to my car, but I insisted they continue, that I could take care of myself in that area and so it was they continued challenging themselves, while I turned back, detoured through the college, defeated a PokémonGo Gym, hatched two eggs, logged in 2.22 miles by the time I got back to the car, drove home and shampooed the carpet.
Will I go back next Saturday?
I don’t know.
The jury is still out.
It just didn’t feel like a group ─ didn’t feel worth getting up early on a Saturday for.
One good thing that came out of it was I received information on a couple of upcoming 5Ks I’d heard nothing about ─ one of which is taking place at the college.
I registered for all of them ─ one in August, two in September.
Plus, I’ve got the Stampede 5K in August and the Batman 5K in September.
Speaking of Batman ... look at the cool leggings I managed to snag.


The glasses, I already had. Leftover from when I did a 5K as Batgirl.
So, the jury is still out on the walking group, but only because I don’t want to be rude and just not show up ever again, because the people I met were nice, friendly.
Maybe I’ll give it one more shot and, if I still feel the same, give myself permission to be rude and not show up again.

4 comments:

  1. I can see you at the Batman 5k in September wearing those Awesome Leggings and Sunglasses! As for the Group, couldn't hurt to give it another go and then bow out Gracefully if it isn't for you, I don't think that would be rude at all. Some Groups gel and some aren't what we expected at all... I did that with a Zumba Class once and an Advanced Yoga Class I thought were inclusive of beginners and intermediates, but clearly wasn't and I felt completely out of place with the skill level of the Group, which wasn't Helpful to me or to the Instructor I'm sure! I think it's great you're so active in these exercise oriented Groups, so much easier and safer to do these things in groups and especially when we're Seniors and it might not be as wise to go solo. I used to Hike a lot and thoroughly enjoyed doing so, but don't have anyone to do it with now and wouldn't go solo in the Desert, not safety conscious to... but I miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...didn’t feel worth getting up early on a Saturday for."
    There's not much of anything worth getting up early on Saturday for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the leggings, and I used to like walking by myself.

    ReplyDelete