Monday, July 1, 2019

I Forgot Day?


When I saw the notation on this month’s calendar that tomorrow is I Forgot Day, I figured it was management’s desperate attempt to come up with something to fill in the blanks on the calendar ─ make the calendar look busy to mitigate not having activities to post.
But no.
Well, not exactly because, even though it smacks of desperation, I did due diligence (Googled it) and what do you know, it’s a legit National holiday, the history of which is that “The creator of National I Forgot Day is Gaye Anderson from DeMotte, IN. She created this special day because of a period in her life when she was having a hard time remembering things. Instead of getting flustered, she created this day to relax and just let herself –forget. Gaye doesn’t quite remember (believe it or not!) when she created this day, but thinks it must have been about 10 or so years ago.”
Nice, but what about all the other days when we have our senior moments? 
All in all, the calendar does look pretty desperate this month what with its indications of Kiss Day, Strawberry Sundae Day, French Fries Day, National Lollipop Day and, believe it or not, Shark Awareness Day.
Us seniors are not likely to find sharks in the pool.
The 27th looks interesting ─ National Day of the Cowboy. But alas, we’re not likely to see any cowboys in the neighborhood.
Actually, this is not the first time the calendar was nothing but a bunch of fillers and a funny thing happened when management first began using these national this/national that days. Some residents thought it meant an actual celebration and came to the Community Room expecting to find an event.
They were seriously pissed. LOL.
I like having the calendar, because it helps me keep track of what day it is, but I can do without all the fluff.
Just before I headed out for this morning’s workout, Assistant Maintenance Guy came up with new blinds for the kitchen.
If you will recall, just as I was finishing up on cleaning the kitchen blinds back in March, a string broke and the blinds came tumbling down.


Instead of bringing up a set of new blinds, Head Maintenance Guy did a Macgyver job ─ managed to tie the string, and put the binds aright.


I thought the fix left the blinds a little tacky looking, but decided not to make a big deal about it. That is, until we got that rent increase at which time I made a big deal about it and requested new blinds.
I could have slapped the woman who is our Assistant Community Manager when I walked down my request, showed her the photo and she asked, "What's wrong with them?" I'd just explained what was unacceptable, showed her a photo, I'm there trying to make a big deal out of the slant at the top and overall tacky look and she's playing dumb. Nevertheless, an order was placed and blinds were installed today.


While installing them, Assistant Maintenance Guy said, “You look like you like to clean” and proceeded to show me how the blinds easily slip on and off to clean.
I thought that a strange statement ─ “You look like you like to clean” and made me wonder if it was indicative of his having walked into less than stellar conditions in other units.

12 comments:

  1. Do you like vertical blinds? I prefer horizontal blinds if I have to have blinds. I really like drapes, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like these verticals. If I'd had a choice between vertical/horizontal, it's what I would have chosen.

      Delete
  2. What do you think of the vertical blinds?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We switched to vertical blinds in our old house and absolutely loved them. They are so much easier to keep clean and they look so tidy.
    We inherited horizontal blinds in several rooms of our current house and have not changed them.
    I am so glad you made enough fuss for them to be changed as long as your rent was being increased!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Management hates to spend money. Have to catch them when they're vulnerable, during rent increase or government inspection, to make our requests. :-)

      Delete
    2. You have to know when to hold em, know when to fold em...

      Delete
  4. I like the Vertical Blinds, seems they let in more Light and would be easier to keep clean. Glad you caught Mngmt when they were vulnerable and would accommodate you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't blame you for asking for new blinds when the rent goes up. I'm not sure why the rent has to keep going up. In my case, I imagine these apartments are paid for (built in 1956) so it is just upkeep and salary which seems to be should be easily offset by rent payments. But who knows?

    ReplyDelete