Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Mending Fences

Heading out for this morning’s Pain Cave workout, I made a point of leaving a few minutes early so I could check into the Community Room, take a few quick photos for the residents’ facebook page of the July 4th Potluck preparations.
Approaching the door, I spied a notice indicating “Classes Cancelled”.
What classes, thought I.
Entering the room, I didn’t see any preparations for the day ─ it was early yet, but I did find a handful of seniors wondering same as I ... what classes?
After working out, I checked back into the Community Room to take photos.
There was nothing.
No Activity Director.
No hot dogs.
No potato salad.
No nothing.
Evidently "classes" meant today's potluck.
Hopefully, not too many seniors got stuck with side dishes and deserts they'd prepared for the potluck.
There were a few residents in the room, discussing the situation and, what do you know, The Seer was one of them.
Surprising.
Even more surprising, she was talking to others in the room ─ something she hasn’t done since around this time last year. With the Shadow always in her ear and she in his ─ both finding fault, causing discord, she had no need for any of us.
Watching her interact, my spidey sense said it’s now about mending fences.
Well, good luck with that, I thought to myself as I reflected on how awful she’d been, especially her bullying of Church Lady. Church Lady had approached me in tears a few months ago telling me how hurt she was by the Seer’s alienation, inasmuch as the two had previously been so close, “Like sisters” Church Lady had said.
“You can’t take it personal. She’s pushed all of us away”, said I at the time.
“Because of HIM!”, Church Lady replied.
“Yes. She’s thinking she can bring him up. Instead, he’s dragging her down”.
Seer must have read what I was thinking because she couldn’t look me in the eyes.
She so avoided facing me that I wasn’t able to say hello or long time no see. However, as I was leaving the Community Room, I stopped just outside the door to take a photo of the bus bringing back a group of seniors from that wretched senior center in the Walking Dead part of town.


From the looks of all the writing on the bus (Bingo, Daily Lunch, Activities, Classes), it looks like that senior center has it going on and maybe they do, that is if you can live with the old rickety building, the moldy/mildew smell and being packed like sardines in a can.
At any rate, as I was taking the photo, the Seer came out of the Community Room and, speaking to my back said, “Hi, Shirley”.
“Hey”, said I without turning around. “I haven’t seen you in a long time”.
“Trying to stay out of trouble”.
I went for it ─ “Good luck with that”, said I.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear that the activities were cancelled so abruptly and with no notifications that would have been appropriate and considerate. As for the Seer, I'm always cautious with those who are on and off the grid of being Friendly and hospitable. It can become too much Drama and a Headache to deal with people who aren't consistent in their behavior and how they treat everyone. Good Luck with that indeed... sounds like she has trouble staying out of trouble? *Winks*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. It's the old "Fool me once" theory. I see who she is now, so it's bye girl.

      Delete