Saturday, July 6, 2019

EARTHQUAKES!!!

Had one of my “I Forgot” days again.
Trainer had mentioned one of his clients is into country music and 5Ks, so I gave him a flyer about the Stampede 5K coming up in the area to pass on to her.
She, in turn, told Trainer to invite me to join her local walking group.
Wanting to know more about the group, I met up with Trainer’s client during her session at the Pain Cave, on Wednesday, and ended up joining her Pacer’s group, scheduled to meet up and walk this Saturday morning.
I inked in 7:00 Saturday to my planner.
The 4th of July on Thursday threw me off my game. Thursday felt like a weekend, Friday felt like a weekend and I had to constantly remind myself .. no, today is Thursday … no, today is Friday. Somehow, things got twisted in my head and I began mentally mapping out … no, today is Thursday, remember to workout with Trainer … no, today is Friday, rest today and tomorrow to reserve energy for Sunday's group walk.
Not Saturday's group walk, but Sunday's.
And so it was when, along about 9:30 this morning, I happened to look at my planner and realized … no, the group walk was this morning, not tomorrow. I’d missed it.
Oh well.
Embarrassing, but there’s always next Saturday.
Adding to the holiday throwing me off my game, there was the chaos of two earthquakes.
Even though my friend the Archeologist, who lives a few blocks away, posted she’d felt Thursday’s 6.4 quake, I didn’t feel a thing.
A coworker friend, who also lives in this area, also felt Thursday’s quake, posting “Everyone my Rae Dunn is safe... I repeat, my Rae Dunn is safe from the earthquake!” LOL. (Rae Dunn being the hottest new trend in pottery and friend’s obsession).
Then I lost my Wi-Fi right in the middle of The Walking Dead Marathon on Friday, around noon. Don’t know if the quake or aftershocks was the cause, but I was without Wi-Fi until shortly after 4:00. 
No television.
No laptop.
Cell phone worked, but could not access Facebook or the PokémonGo app.
Though I like things peaceful and quiet, that was too much quiet for me. 
Even though I had needlepoint to occupy my time, meditation and a new read (Walter Mosley’s Down the River Unto the Sea), it was an awful couple of hours being cut off from the world without internet or television.
Then, after being without Wi-Fi earlier in the day, there was yet another earthquake, a whopping 6.9, around 8:15 that evening.
That one I felt.
It rolled on and on and on, causing the 5K medals on the bid/medal board to swing and clang into each other.
I didn’t feel panic as the rolling continued on and on gathering momentum. I was more in a state of suspended animation, frozen on the couch, not thinking, not moving, just observing, waiting to see what was next, and what came next was a mere nothing compared to all the devastation in the Ridgecrest area ─ a sign and a few books tipped over in the bookcase.
Inasmuch as, we are not only in the red fire zone area, but on a fault line, I think I’d better put together a kit for the car, including toiletries, makeup, water purifier and clothing). Because of my gut issues, food is going to be a problem, so I’ll have to wing it, take my chances during an emergency that I can find fresh veggies, or just let myself be sick on ramen noodles and crackers.
I’m also redoing my go-bag to focus on important papers and Creative Memory photo albums, striking off the list the laptops because laptops can be replaced. The only electronic I really need is the cellphone ─ the only item that worked during the Wi-Fi outage, which can also be used as a flashlight.

6 comments:

  1. Yes, I lay awake last night thinking about what to take in case of an emergency, and I too decided the laptop could stay. Most of my stuff is on the cloud. Cell phones and an envelope of important papers will do the trick. I keep a case of bottled water and other beverages in the garage so could put those in the car and be gone pretty quickly. Except, there is the matter of the cats. That's the part I don't have figured out. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should consider getting a dehydrater. They are not very expensive. I dry all kinds of veggies in the summer for my winter meals. That might be a way to help your gut during a prolonged shut down because of earth quakes.
    I only learned how to use mine about 3 years ago. Well worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea. What's your suggestion as to brand, make, model?

      Delete
  3. My prepper son isn't here so excuse my ignorance- could you use vegetarian MRE's?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never heard of those, but worth looking into. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. You are absolutely right about being prepared in advance. My friend lost her house to a fire in the night and got out with only her husband and pets. She reminds me often to have a go bag ready and I know from my experience with Hurricanes that you cannot have too many clean panties available! Seriously, I have all my important docs in a plastic envelope in the buffet by the front door. I keep a tote in the car with clean clothes, etc. My prayer is that I never need either.

    ReplyDelete