Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Rainy Days and Tuesdays

Opening up the patio sliding door to let in fresh air this morning, surprised was I to see rain.
The show must go on so, the plan to hurry back from this morning’s workout with Trainer, in order to take photos of today’s Mother’s Day potluck for the seniors’ facebook page, then drive out of the area to Sprouts and the craft store was streamlined to just the workout and photos.
Ready to head out the door to The Pain Cave, realizing I had 15 minutes to spare, something told me to head down to the Community Room, even though the event wasn’t scheduled to begin for another 45 minutes, just to see what was going on.
What was going on was nothing. Church Lady and the woman who has volunteered at the Veterans Hospital for over 40 years were the only ones in the room.
The volunteering woman is an interesting little lady. Her older brother is classified as a fallen hero of the Korean War. Which is why, I assume, she’s so involved in veteran affairs. I don’t know when her brother’s remains were found, but it was just last year that the remain were released by Korea’s POW/MIA Accountability Agency.
So, anyway, as I was saying, there was nothing being set up for a Mother’s Day potluck, only two residents in the room, and a sign indicating the potluck was cancelled.
I guess the show doesn’t always go on.
Church Lady tells me it’s rescheduled to the 14th because no one signed up.
That’s interesting, but I think Church Lady was just guessing, because it’s highly unusual and unlikely the seniors would turn down an event involving food.
Running into Activity Director herself, I was told it’s rescheduled because of the rain.
Not bloody likely. I’ve seen the seniors heading to food events during flash floods.
Running into my buddy Apache, after returning from the Pain Cave, he tells me it’s because the office did not release funds to Activity Director to purchase what she needed for the event.
That makes sense, and is probably because the new Community Manager didn’t understand the process in time for Activity Director to get things together.
I guess it’s taking new manager some time to understand more than the event budget process, because we didn’t get a monthly calendar posted to our doors until this morning.
Will be interesting to see how things go on the 14th, two days after Mother’s Day.
So, with this morning’s workout off my plate and rained into sticking close to home base, it’s catching up on recorded TV programs and reading for me.
Though I finished the 13-month long needlepoint project yesterday, I can’t start on the new project until I hit the craft store and pick up a few things. Aida cloth and floss came with the pattern, but I’d rather pick out my own floss so as not to run the risk of coming short towards end of the project, and a larger piece of cloth than provided, to give extra space to work with when I get to the edges.
And speaking of that over 3284 hours long project ...…

Finished Canvas

Lucked up on most perfect trim

Decorative Pillow Front

Decorative Pillow Back

Side View

12 comments:

  1. Totally excellent. I don't think I'll be starting anymore big projects like that. I'm even having problems completing my scarf knitting which is my go to craft when I am bored. Guess I'm entering my second childhood with little to no attention span.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes you just need a break or maybe a different craft. You can always come back when the mood hits and finish.

      Delete
    2. I usually have a big project and a couple smaller projects depending on the days energy and attention span.

      Delete
  2. Good job on the pillow. Too bad about the mixup on the party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, one gets accustomed to mix-ups on activities around here.

      Delete
  3. "...catching up on recorded TV programs..."
    I have friends that record so many program they can never hope to watch them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done that. In fact, I just deleted some of the recorded programs because I know I'll never get to them.

      Delete
  4. That's simply a wonderful work of art. The colors in yours are flat out stunning. My friend Duck did that kind of needle point, only 6 feet by 2.5. He started these projects to help him quit smoking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't even imagine taking on a 6 foot project.

      Delete