Wednesday, December 12, 2018

I Can’t with These Millennials

In October, it was that Target worker who didn’t know how to properly bag breakables that caused me to realize just how clueless and irresponsible young people can be.
Fortunately, I’m not called upon to interact much with people under 55 years of age but I had to make a trip to Ralphs Market yesterday, because it’s the only place where I can find tofu (Shirataki) noodles.
While there, I picked up a few other wet products, like frozen cauliflower rice, frozen broccoli, et al.
At the checkout, I reached into my cloth bag, pulled out the Ralphs plastic bags and gave to the young bagger.
I became livid, yelling to myself, “What did he do! What’s wrong with him!” when I reached to unload at the car, and saw he’d not used the store bags I’d given him but, when I was otherwise occupied paying the cashier, he’d retrieved my cloth bag from the cart and put all the wet ingredients in it.
What did he do with the store bags?
Why, he’d put them inside the cloth bag as well.
It’s tiring me out.
I just can’t with these millennials.
The straw that broke the camel’s back was my millennial granddaughter texting, earlier that morning, that the 2004 Saturn I’d gifted her in February, when I bought the Jeep, had been stolen.
Poor thing has been through a lot.
I’m not speaking of granddaughter as poor thing, but the car.
While spending Thanksgiving in Long Beach, I’d gotten a look at the Saturn. It obviously had not seen a car wash in a long time, plus there was that chunk out of the left side back door, caused by granddaughter being hit in the traffic circle. The grandsons advised she’s also not keeping up with maintenance/oil.
Oh and btw, from that traffic circle accident I learned granddaughter was driving without insurance.
Call Geico, I tell her. Get a quote. I’ll pay for it.
Nothing happens.
THEN, I get that woe is me text that the car was stolen, along with everything she owns ─ clothes/shoes, as she was in the process of moving.
“I don't know why bad things keep happening” she bemoans.
This is California!
Any fool knows you don’t drive without insurance and you don’t leave anything in a car to temp thieves, but I resisted saddling her with blame. Instead, I said the Universe is throwing some hard tests her way and that hopefully the car will be found, with her items safely inside. In the meantime, it’s back to the bus and Uber, I say but add “Something good will happen. Expect a miracle”.
An hour later, “Car not stolen. Towed”.
There’s your miracle but ... “Towed for why?”
“Three parking tickets”.
WT Heck! thought I, but pulled from my savings and sent her enough to get the car from tow, pay citations, and it was a lot of $$$$ and once again say, “Get a Geico quote”.
Along with this gift of $$$$ came my texting to her that the Universe was being kind this time, that complete loss of the car and belongings would have been a far harder lesson than tow, especially when the loss would have been the result of something as small as parking where she’d not be ticketed, then failing to pay the first parking ticket, go on to garner two more.
In retrospect, I should have left her to the consequences of her own actions ─ no clothes, back to buses and Uber. But the car, previously well-maintained and having served me well for so long, didn’t deserve to be abandoned to the tow yard.
At any rate, granddaughter says she’ll use the $$$$ wisely and get on top of things immediately, but I don’t know. I’m suspicious that there’s something I don’t know about that’s the reason for no insurance, but I’m now at the place of I don’t want to know, and shouldn’t care because she’s a grown ass millennial woman and I just can’t with these millennials any longer.
My future dealings with granddaughter's dramas will be much like the relationship in this clip of Woopi Goldberg and Tiffany Haddish in their new movie Nobody’s Fool.



9 comments:

  1. I know you love your granddaughter, but based on my past experience she WILL NOT grow up until she experiences the consequences of her non-actions. I hope I'm wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG. Yes. I hadn't seen that movie but I love Whoopi in just about everything. That is exactly my reaction with the grandson. I'm giving up on the children. They're just damn weird adults but I had hoped the grandson would take in at least some of my logical thinking methods. Nope. Not going to happen. Out of my control. It's hard when you love a kid so much you just want to help them and show them a good path or give them some good alternative. But no. Things are different quote unquote. Bah humbug. Pay your own bills then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The way we learn about how life works is by falling down and skinning our knees. If someone is always there to break our fall, we learn nothing. Tough love is often kinder in the long run than rescuing people from the consequences of their own bad decision-making behaviour. Rescuing them is really denying them the chance to learn and grow up.

    I've made that mistake in the past too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This isn't my first time coming to the rescue, but I can assure you it is my last. Too mentally/emotionally draining. I just can't anymore.

      Delete
  4. It was your car, it is no longer. You have no more responsibility for it. It sounds like your granddaughter has no appreciation for it, letting it get damaged, towed, along with being unserviced and uninsured. Who does that with a car?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully the hour she thought the car was stolen, along with her clothes/shoes, has frightened her awake to how much harder her life would once again become without a car. She did get insurance since then, so we'll see.

      Delete