Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Not a Creature was Stirring

With the Community Room locked up during staff’s holiday, it’s been unusually quiet on the complex.
From the looks of all the empty parking spots, those who could get away for the holidays have busted out a move.
Next door neighbor left with a suitcase the day before Christmas Eve, so there’s not the sound of her door opening/closing or the bump bump bump of her dragging her grocery cart up the stairs.
I’ve also not heard the door open and slam shut, as is usual, from my downstairs neighbor’s unit or the downstairs unit across from hers, so I’m thinking I've been the only person in residence on my side of the quad for days.
It’s been lovely ─ the quiet here, the not having to pack up a lot of stuff and head out to anywhere.
I did get invited to spend time in Murrieta with my twin girls as they hang out together celebrating their 51st birthday, including a trip to the Cheesecake Factory. Of course, I had to decline because of my gut issues. Besides, a trip to Murrieta would have meant packing up a lot of stuff and heading out.
Instead, Twin 2 stopped by here, while Twin 1 was off feeding the homeless of Skid row.
Since she was here, I decided it was time to have The Talk ─ my final wishes, where the Power of Attorney and insurance papers are located, etc.
She was uncomfortable with the discussion and thought it meant I felt old and about to expire. Consequently, she ended giving me a pep talk ... “Mom, you look younger than 74, you do 5Ks, the Floss Dance. You’re in good shape, while most people your age are dead already”.
LOL!
“Tell that to the residents here who are in their 80’s and 90’s” said I, but no, it’s not that I feel my time is anywhere near up. It’s because one never knows and, with what’s happening in the world right now as the result of a mad man in the White House, these things need to be discussed.
My energy level returned during the week, I was back on center and got a lot done, besides sitting on the couch working on that needlepoint, which I did devote quite a few hours to. But I also managed to reorganized the pantry so I could readily see what I was looking for, rather than go on the usual frustrating moving things out of the way, hunting for what was needed.
I also updated my recipe binder ─ removing recipes that no longer work for me because of my gut issues, adding the grain-free recipes that do.
I also managed to view all 10 episodes of a fascinating watch on Prime ─ Homecoming.
Julie Roberts looked unattractive. I wasn’t sure if she was made up to look unattractive or if she’s just not aging gracefully, but Homecoming was excellent. I could watch it again.
Christmas Day rushed its way into my shutdown period. Feeling myself again, I’d planned to spend the day walking around the University, hitting up PokéStops for balls, but awoke to the sound of rain.
Rain didn’t last long, but it never got sunny or warm enough to lure me outside so, finally in the mood for it, I decorated those sweater cookies I’d been holding onto.


The wreath should have been higher up on the sweater, but not too shabby.
The pink things on the Christmas Tree are cups left over from the Starbucks Gingerbread Café I built last year.
Didn’t see a gingerbread café kit at the local Starbucks this year. 
Still feeling energetic after decorating the sweater cookies, I decided to go through the other cabinets in the kitchen.
Learned I had two crockpots. The 3-quart I knew I had, but no longer use because the Instant Pot rendered it obsolete. Didn’t remember ever buying or using the 1.5 quart one but, with the advent of the Instant Pot, that one also is now obsolete, along with several other pots and pans.
I’ve three strainers, all the same size.
Why?
I only need one.
I guess it’s indicative of the cupboard clutter I was now addressing ─ previously not being able to find and/or not realizing I already had one, winding up purchasing another.
I can’t imagine the Salvation Army would be interested in used pots, pans, strainers, crockpots, but we’ll see. Better yet, Twin 1 is not only involved in feeding the homeless, but in housing, which I’m sure the cookware now obsolete for me, would be useful to those fortunate enough to secure housing but moving in with nothing.
The complex office and Community Room reopen today, so I guess the parking spaces will start filling up and the normal everyday noises will return with residents returning to home base and stirring again, but I’m on my second wind. Ready for what comes next. So ready that I may even go down for the New Year’s Eve party, but slip away before the hugging and kissing starts because eweeee.

6 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas. It's important to have those talks while young enough to do so.
    Those cookies look fabulous you did a great job.
    Thanks for the tip on Homecoming. I saw that and wondered if it would be good. I think Julia is not aging well. The last few times I've seen her she doesn't look as good. But hell her bad is still better than my good. :-) Enjoy the quiet while you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas and Happiest of New Years to you as well. Just heard footsteps running up and down stairs, next door neighbor's door opening and slamming shut, as someone helped her with her luggage. Quiet is over. It's back to normal and only 7:30 in the AM :-)

      Delete
  2. The Salvation Army will be thrilled with those donations. I see similar items all the time at ours. They don't stick around too long, either. I go to the Salvation Army to get alarm clocks for the attendance officer at Columbia to hand out to parents who can't get their kids to school on time (or at all) because they over sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those sweater cookies are great! And you're very wise to brief your daughter about your power of attorney documents, etc. Too many people do not put the necessary preparations in place and then there's just a big mess if the worst happens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since I worked in Estate Planning and Probate for so many years, I am an advocate for planning as much as you can and being as organized as you can. Luckily my sister is also stoic so I can discuss things with her when things are in the planning stage. Like the rest of my life, I keep trimming back on my plans for the end also. The simpler and least expensive the better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, they will love to take anything you want to give them. Yes, I told my kids where everything is along time ago. Hugs and a happy new year to you.

    ReplyDelete