Friday, December 7, 2018

What a Difference a Day Makes

Yesterday and day before it was rain rain more rain and flash flood warnings.
Today, the sun is shining, outside is dry and looks inviting.
My buddy Apache, who keeps me pretty much informed as to what’s going on via text, sent me a message, in the height of yesterday’s storm, that the office was closing early because the street in front of the complex was flooding. Head Maintenance Guy lives on the property, as does Assistant Manager, so no problem there. However, Complex Manager and Assistant Maintenance Guy live off premise, and closing early was so they could make it home.
Upon receiving the text, I of course wanted to head outside and photo document what was happening out front, but the heavy downpour was too intense.
Warm and cozy inside, I put the two-day forced indoor time to good use. I finally finished Bob Woodward’s book Fear.
Ordinarily, since it’s not a book I want to keep, I’d put it on the book shelf in the Complex Library for others to read, but we’ve been instructed “paperbacks only”. So, I’ll donate to the Public Library.
I also put in eighteen to twenty hour working on that Black Panther needlepoint, begun back in March.

Progress March to September

Progress September to December

Doesn’t look like much has been accomplished between the first and second update but honestly, with teeny tiny 18-count Aida Cloth, progress on that corner represents around 700 hours. All told, I estimate I’ve devoted at least 1,080 hours to this project, and still a long way to go. I think I'm looking at a 2020 completion date.
It’s a good thing I’m a patient soul.
Speaking of patience, during my forced indoor time, I began mentally mapping out a strategic search plan for finding that Elf store employees are hiding in the local market ─ Phase 1, search the perimeters first, check all the ledges, look in high up items ─ like the pet carriers and grocery carts for sale over by ice cream; Phase 2, check the store decorations; Phase 3, walk the isles.
One facebook friend posted having found Harold holding onto a bottle of wine.
Another reported finding him on a ledge above the Deli Department.
He’s moved every day, sometimes multiple times during the day, and a candy cane appears to be the only prize being offered. 
Waking up this morning to the sun shining, with packages to be picked up at the Amazon Locker, I headed out but first detoured to the market. I didn’t really need any groceries, but I found things to stock up on so I could search for Harold.
Phase 1 complete and no Harold.
Phase 2 complete and no Harold.
So sure was I that Phase 1 should have turned him up, I did another pass and, at 0.33 Fitbit miles, there he was, right by the grocery carts, where I’d previously looked and he wasn’t.


No way did I miss the little bugger on the first pass, so must have been in transit.
At any rate, mission accomplished. I didn’t claim the candy cane prize. Instead, I treated myself to that Elvis Presley coffee mug.
Back at the complex a couple hours later, I ran into The Baker who reported she also found Harold, still over ice cream by the grocery carts. She claimed a candy cane, which she reported is her second. The first was when she found him on a ledge over by shrimp.
So much fun this is.
Baker says she doesn’t even want to claim any more candy canes. She just wants to see how many times she can find Harold.
Me too.
One store employee told her a guy had searched for 3 hours, with no success.
I find that hard to believe. Three hours has to be an exaggeration.

9 comments:

  1. 1,080 hours? In the days of 'is it done yet?', that's real sticktoitiveness. Your next project should be a great big one. To be finished in 2050. That way you won't be allowed to die until it's done. OK OK, 2070.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn’t want to live to be 106 (2050) or 126 (2070), not unless the twist would be I stay young looking and healthy. But if I were a writer, that scenario would be make for a good suspense/horror movie … an individual who can’t die until a project is ended so they make sure not to finish it. LOL

      Delete
  2. I think your weather just got to Houston. They are warning flash floods and it rain steady big plops as I went to the doctor and drug store. It's quiet right now which makes me think that by tonight it will be rocking and rolling. Too bad because it is a weekend of many social events for those that do social events. HAHAHA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your flash flood warnings are not as annoying as here where they are LOUDLY announced numerous times a day in the middle of television programs. So LOUD that I rush to the television to turn down the sound until the announcement is over so as not to disturb the neighbors.

      Delete
  3. That Black Panther needlepoint is going to be AWESOME when it's done! Since the design and colours look so solid, I assume it's petit point and not cross-stitch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it's not petit point embroidery. It's counted cross stitch. Looks solid because 18-count aida cloth is so tiny, so tight.

      Delete
    2. Wow! I used to do counted cross-stitch 20 years ago but the smallest count I ever worked with was 14. I don't know if I could see well enough to work in 14 count now. But 18!!! Do you have to use a magnifier to see the guide holes?

      Delete
    3. I have a special pair of glasses that work as a magnifier but so challenging, especially with so many colors, that I'll never work with 18 count again.

      Delete
  4. Maybe he is blind. LOL
    I don't know if I mentioned it, but I really like your header of boots and Christmas lights.

    I have four of Ducks big needle point pieces. Why he decided on three by six, I don't know. But I really enjoy looking at them. I'll share them again after the holidays.

    ReplyDelete