Saturday, December 1, 2018

Maybe I’m Wrong But

Heading out yesterday afternoon to check on a cat that’s been stuck in a tree since Thursday, I ran into The Baker.
“We’re having the Holiday Cooking Decorating on the 18th”, said she. “Only I told C_____ (Activity Director) she’d have to do it this year”.
I suppose she’s turning her personal event over to management because of the bruhaha over her dog Fancy.
In support of The Baker, I had no plans to be involved in any activity she’s not involved in because it upsets me that management has hurt her, but it appears she’s not opting out but scaling back in contributions to this community ─ the let management do it school of revenge.
I can dig it.
At any rate, each year the Baker has been organizing a Cookie Swap AND baking most of the cookies involved in the swap herself. Last year’s Cookie Swap included Cookie Decorating, which I was disappointed because I thought we’d be decorating those pre-made sweater cookies. Instead, it was round cookies baked by The Baker.
Not wanting to be disappointed again this year, I told The Baker I’d pick up a couple pre-made cookie kits and extra icings.
She in turn said she also supply icings. “In a tube?” asked I. “No, in a can”.
Well that’s not going to work well for decorating, but whatever.
THEN, later in the afternoon, management posted this months Activity Calendar to our doors, which indicated Holiday Cookie Decorating Social on the 18th, Holiday Potluck on the 19th.
And we’re back to potlucks, thought I.
What happened to the annual Christmas Party ... music, residents dressing up, gifts etc?
What happened to the Ugly Sweater event?
Cost-cutting at its finest.
THEN, I saw this blurb.


Maybe I’m wrong, but I think it tacky to invite folks to a cookie decorating event expecting them to bring their own cookies.
Why would they purchase or bake their own cookies then come down to the Community Room to decorate?
Doesn’t make sense.
It's not a swap, where one would bring her own cookies to exchange, but a decorating event.
I’m expecting a complete and utter failure of an event, just like Karaoke, with the Activity Director sitting alone.
Not looking forward to it, so I’ll drop off one or two kits to The Baker, because I said I would, and she can give to her great grandkids to decorate if no residents show up but, done with tacky, I’m out.
Also out is that poor cat.


Apache heard it mewing for help and spotted it high up in that tree on Thursday.
The Fire Department was unsympathetic and told Apache to get a ladder.
The cat was too high up for that, and Apache is a senior. It would have been suicide.
I suggested Animal Control and, the cat still in the tree the next day, assumed they’d also said no.
By yesterday, fearing the cold weather, no food, no water, the cat was going to die a slow death, I researched organizations in the area, thinking there must be someone in the business of rescuing cats from trees.
I did find some states do have people performing that service, but not anyone near us.
I then got on the phone and called the Vet up the street to ask if maybe they knew someone we could pay to get the cat from the tree.
After listening to a long message only to be referred to Animal Control, I got frustrated and gave up, as did the cat. Along about 7:00 last night, I got a text from Apache, “We got kitty down”.
“How”, asked I.
“He was coming down hungry. S___ got step ladder, reached him”.
No news on my little Renegade, so looks like the dealership won’t get her back to me until sometime next week.
Today, is December PokémonGo Community Day, so I’m going to bundle up from the cold and head out to the University to take advantage of today’s bonuses.

4 comments:

  1. You should have put on your cape and gone up after that cat yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. That would require a Cat Woman cosplay outfit, and that one's not in my collection.

      Delete
  2. I love the new header, and I am sorry that your community spends it's time pinching pennies.

    ReplyDelete