Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Happy Halloween


That’s a throw pillow I walked up on at Joann’s Crafts. The words being a clever play on pimp talk made me stop in my tracks and lol. I was not amused enough to purchase it though, but only because, since we don’t get any trick-or-treaters, I don’t go to the trouble of decorating for Halloween.
One resident appears to have the spirit, but not enough spirit to throw on a costume and attend the Halloween Potluck.


Being around so many unmotivated people has killed my Halloween spirit. It died a little last year, when I was the only one to wear a costume. Then there was the annual Halloween Spooktacular 5K, 10K, Half Marathon, where I always go as Michonne, not coming to the area this year. And even though I won the costume contest here at the complex this year, the poor showing was the coup de gras. I seriously doubt I’ll ever look forward to this time of year as eagerly as I have in the past.
The Residents Volunteer Activity Committee is asking for volunteers to sit outside the complex tonight and distribute candy to kids from 4:00 to 7:00.
Don’t know if they’ve received any takers, but I’m wondering -- even if volunteers step forward (which I doubt), just where do they expect the kids to come from?
With three elementary schools in the immediate vicinity, there are children in the area, but they live in nice little neighborhoods surrounding us and in the multi-family complex next door. With so much at their doorstep, children have no need to leave and walk in this direction. The volunteers, if there are any, will more than likely sit, chat, eat candy.
This past weekend was quiet and uneventful (except for gut issues as last week's biscuits caught up with me). I mostly rested and recovered from the gut issues and from having tapped into what turned out to be a nephew having a medical crisis.
Being an empath is both a blessing and a curse. One gets a sense of what’s going to happen before it happens, which gives one time to prepare for and accept bad news when it comes; but on the other hand, it’s draining when one actually feels what the other person is feeling, and I’m finding that being around unmotivated old people is draining enough and rubbing off on me.
Receiving emails daily about nearby fun 5Ks this month, next month, next year -- some encouraging costumes, I’ve not been even remotely interested, tempted to register. And right this minute, I’m feeling so unmotivated that I may not follow through with the two turkey trots I’ve already committed to.
Today is not only Halloween but also Pizza Tuesday. I wasn’t planning to head to the Community Room and watch the seniors have at another feeding frenzy but I might as well, since I woke up to no television service. I've got internet (thank the Lord), but Tech Support tells me there’s an outage for television service in the area. When I head out, I’ll check to see if it has something to do with the U-Haul vs Building incident.
In the meantime, as much as I pay for Cable TV ...  witch better restore my service.

No comments:

Post a Comment