Friday, June 2, 2017

Happy National Donut Day

Waking up this morning, thinking today was Saturday – a good day to walk the university campus, planning to do so, I caught a glimpse through the blinds of one of the maintenance men walking along a pathway.
“What’s he doing here?” thought I, as the office is closed, management is off on weekends.
I can usually determine what day of the week it is by what I watched on television the night before, but with so many finales last week, nothing else interesting to view, my frame of reference is off kilter and inasmuch as seeing the maintenance man signaled this couldn’t be Saturday, I couldn’t mentally figure out what day I was in. Referring to my planner, I learned today is Friday, National Donut Day.
Curious to know if this was a made-up holiday to promote the sale of donuts, I learned an interesting fact: “National Donut Day was created in 1938 to honor the Salvation Army ‘Donut Girls’ who served doughnuts to soldiers on the front lines of World War I.”
Some areas are celebrating with canteen trucks outside Salvation Army Facility Stores. Deciding to walk the golf course, and curious to see if the Salvation Army store nearest me was doing so, I first drove away from the golf course to pass the army store to see if they too were celebrating with a canteen truck.
They weren’t. Instead, there were balloons and 50% off sales signs.
Returning to the complex after walking the golf course, I detoured through the Community Room, headed to the mail box.
No celebration with free donuts in the Community Room either – not that I can eat a donut without setting off an angry gut episode, I was just curious that, with several area donut shops offering freebies, to see if the Activity Director was into Donut Day.
Guess not.
She is, however, into Father’s Day, as we’re having a Father’s Day Bagel Social on Tuesday the 13th.
Insofar as fathers around here, I fully expect no more than three men to show up -- The Baker’s Husband, the two maintenance men. Maybe a fourth -- Greedy Grabby’s husband.
Inasmuch as bagels are also on the list of items that will set off an angry gut episode, doubt I’ll go down. Besides, that’s also Pizza Day and there was discussion at the Memorial Day BBQ to the effect the residents are still behaving like wild animals in bum rushing the delivery guys before they can put the pizzas on the table; and even worse behavior now in that there is a husband and wife team taking four pizzas each, someone opening boxes and taking a couple of slices from one, couple slices from another, and there was a report of someone looking through boxes for what they wanted on their pizza and, in the crush, dropping a pizza to the floor, picking it up, putting it back in the box and back on the table for some unsuspecting resident to get ahold of.
Put it all together, and Tuesday is a good day to avoid the Community Room.
At any rate, checking the Community Room board for tonight’s movie, I found the bulletin had been pulled, but a resident in the know said it’s “King Kong, the second one”.
I don’t know which one that is because, for me when you go counting versions, the first in my mind -- and the best, was the 1933 Fay Wray version. In which case, the second would be the De Laurentis version with Jessica Lange, which version I hated. However, if they’re considering De Laurentis as the first, then the one showing tonight would be the Peter Jackson version with Naomi Watts and Jack Black, which was meh, so no thanks.
I’ll go down when they show the latest -- Skull Island.

No comments:

Post a Comment