Saturday, June 3, 2017

Waiting List?

Received my medal for the Never Say Die Goonies 5K.


Looks like I’m going to have to make plans for yet another bib/medal board. The one I made back in April was practically full as soon as it went up, because of overage from the first board. Having since added four more virtuals, with three more coming up this month, I’d better get started on a third bib/medal board.
I was thinking of “Never Stop” as inspirational wording on the board. But now, I’m thinking about “Covfefe!!” because it’s amusing, makes me laugh and, with so much stupidity, ugliness, self-interest leaking into the atmosphere since the election, I could use a visual reminder to laugh and trust the Universe that there is light at the end of this tunnel.
Seems I was spotted when walking the golf course perimeters Friday because, getting out of the car yesterday, returning from that walk, the woman who is too young to live here, but lives here nevertheless because she is her father’s caregiver, pulled her car up alongside and, with a weird stunned look on her face -- like she’d just seen a unicorn asked, “How often do you walk?”
I laughed and said, “You must have seen me when I was walking around the golf course”.
“Yep”.
I should have asked why she was now looking at me like she’d seen a unicorn but didn’t. I’ll assume she was just surprised to see me walking somewhere other than the complex.
As to how often, I didn’t really know how to respond other than to say, “I try to walk every day, but don’t always do so. Sometimes I do the indoor bike thing.”
“You must lose a lot of weight”, said she.
“Not an ounce. For some reason, I don’t lose weight but, if I don’t walk, my hip, knees and back begin to hurt, so that’s why I do it.”
Being intuitive, I assumed she was asking because she’s interested in walking to lose weight. She probably wouldn’t have a problem losing, because she’s young, with no metabolism problems from constant dieting, aging and gut problems. But I didn’t want to draw the conversation out by getting into that, because I was afraid she’d ask “when” I walk so she could walk with me. I just answered her questions and moved on.
That wanting to walk with me has happened more than once before but, after having once in my life rearranged my schedule because a woman wanted to attend a religious ceremony with me and she cancelled at the last second, and once rearranged my walking schedule because a woman wanted to walk with me at a specific time, and she didn’t show up and failed to call, I made a promise to myself to not let other people slow my roll ever again.
There’s talk of bringing back a walking group so, if she approaches me again, I’ll steer her to my President of the Resident’s Committee next door neighbor.
Today, I met with a banker and took care of the last “Upon My Death” item. Only thing on my TBD list is to renew my passport. Because I let the renewal period pass me by, I find I have to start from the beginning – submit my old passport along with a lot of paperwork and a photo.
Inasmuch as I can’t see myself travelling anywhere any time soon, don’t know if it’s necessary or worth the effort. I’ll have to mull this one over.
June 7 is Global Running Day. I registered for the Virtual Can’t Stop, Won’t Stop 5K.
This race organization I registered with works a little different in that, instead of mailing me a bib, I am to click a link and print one out. The link isn’t working, so it’s a crap shoot as to whether I’ll receive a bib and medal via mail upon completion. In the meantime, looking around on the race organization’s site, I saw registration for this event became such a big to do that they set up a “waiting list”.
That’s pretty amazing, but what could the list be a wait for?
Cancellations?
More bib numbers to be generated?
More medals?
It pays to register early, which I generally do, as I’ve seen races fill up and close, but a wait list? This is a first.
Lot of people want to be active on their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment