Thursday, June 15, 2017

Senior Moment

Oops, I did it again.
In spite of an organizer on the counter with 5K activities, hair appointments, dental appointments, meetings and events here at the complex penciled in, and the community’s activity calendar on the fridge, I once again got my days mixed up and ended up a whole day ahead of myself.
Yesterday went well insofar as completing the Virtual Platoon 5K Run, though I didn’t much care for the mall I’d chosen.
I started off outside, but it quickly got too hot for me, so I moved the walk inside. Even with two floors, the mall just wasn’t large enough end-to-end, so walking and rewalking and rewalking the same areas to get to 3.12 miles got a little boring.
The mall itself was otherwise nice insofar as visual appeal.
This artwork so fascinated me that I actually paused my Runkeeper App to take photos.



The artist “Punk Me Tender” is said to have been inspired to create this mural by an Alexander McQueen dress. And I'm only familiar with fashion designer McQueen because I never miss an episode of Project Runway.
Also what I enjoyed about this mall is that people here were uncommonly friendly, in that other mall walkers would smile and greet me, and there was an interaction with a young lady in a boutique that just blew me away.
After I completed the walk, I popped into the boutique that’s selling the DC Superhero Wonder Woman Leggings, but was told they’re not available in-store, only online.
No problem. I can order online but, when I asked if I could try on a pair of leggings in my size just to verify the fit, I was told they do not allow try-ons for leggings.
It was then the young lady at the counter paying for her purchases chimed in … “I’m buying these leggings. They’re the size you’re looking for. Would you like to try them on?”
How amazing was that! ... to offer an old Black lady you don't even know to try on your lovely new leggings.
Of course, I declined. No way could I have accepted such a kind, thoughtful, generous offer and put her nice new leggings on my body but still, I’m blow away that a stranger would offer such a thing … and not only that but, as she was leaving, after having paid for her many purchases, earning a $50 off  $125 purchase coupon, she handed the coupon to me.
I’ll never spend $125 in the boutique, or on clothes anywhere, but still.
The store’s policy to not allow try-ons for leggings may sound odd except, unlike other stores, they are not on a rack. They’re sold in tightly compressed sealed clear plastic bundles, so it makes sense.
At any rate, since I had no try-on, I’m not sure I’ll like the fabric or fit or length on the leggings, but the item is one of those things that keeps calling my name, so I took a risk and ordered online.
The boutique’s website says “No returns” so here’s hoping I’m not disappointed and end up having to eat the cost.
Once back at the complex, I had just enough time to order the leggings and take a quick nap before it was time to head to the Community Room for the Residents/Management meeting.
This is where the senior moment comes in.
Expecting a crowd, I walked into a room with only two residents … watching television.
“What happened to the meeting?” says I.
“That’s tomorrow, Thursday”.
“Well, what day is this?”
“Wednesday”.
Ohhhhhh.
So today being Thursday, we’re to have a 3:00 Residents/Management meeting followed at 4:00 by neighbor’s Residents Activity Committee -- the committee that’s down to just herself and the treasurer.
Tomorrow is Movie Night and, would you believe, it’s still Lonesome Dove. Being as how it’s a three-hour movie, Part 1 was last week Part 2 this Friday.
Needless to say, I won’t be going down.
I did pick up Beauty and the Beast when last at Walmart and offered it up to Apache, the movie guy. He said, “I’ll keep it in mind” but we’re seniors, subject to not only get our days mixed up, but to forget. I’ll be quite surprised if he remembers.

No comments:

Post a Comment