Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Not Great, Not Wonderful

After that good luck sign of spotting two peacocks on the property yesterday and, this morning, finding good luck twin yokes in two out of the three eggs I cracked for breakfast, I felt like a kid at Christmas, excited for what was coming, because surely the peacocks and back-to-back twin yokes were the universe alerting me to something great and wonderful coming.
Killing time at the spa, to avoid down time created by SCE’s four-hour planned power outage this morning, I decided not to hang around Victoria Gardens for lunch after, because I’d awakened tired and sleepy. I remember dreaming, but can’t remember what I’d dreamt. Whatever it was must have been hard work, because I woke up so tired that, had it not been for the power outage, I’d have stayed in bed all day.
Arriving back at the complex a half hour before the outage was to have ended, I found the crews gone and everything back to normal. Stopping at the mailbox, I open my slot and there, right on top, was a letter from “Office of the Jury Commissioner”.
Ohhhhhhhhhhh Noooooooooooo! thought I.
Jury duty.
That’s not great and definitely not wonderful.
I’ve been duped.
The Universe has punked me.
Furthermore, I’m scheduled to appear July 5, the day after the Fourth of July.
I’d been thinking of spending July 1 through July 5 in Long Beach, to participate in a beach 5K on the 2nd, stay over to attend a family event on the 4th, returning afternoon of the 5th. Just last night, I’d researched the cost of a hotel for that length of time, but didn’t book because I was considering if I really wanted to go through the drive, time, expense of either event.
The court has decided for me.
I’d not unhappy about not being able to participate in either event. In the final analysis, I probably would have opted to stay home. But I’m not looking forward to performing my so-called civic duty.

No comments:

Post a Comment