Sunday, May 14, 2017

Pick-A-Color

Happy Mother’s Day!
I chose a French mani/pedi for yesterday’s Mother/Daughter spa day, and the spa girls performed a miracle in restoring my weak dry cracked and chipped nails to strong and pretty fabulous looking.
Now that I have been blessed with ease of matter, instead of the occasional special occasion trip to the spa, the plan is to take better care of myself and go on the regular.
A lot of people watching takes place while I’m sitting in the spa chair, and I’ve seen some interesting sights. Like the time two tough looking women, wearing all black, had their nails done in stiletto shape.
Like this …

As I already have a small scar on my face from where I accidentally jabbed a fingernail in my chin -- and my nails are nowhere near as long, narrow or pointed tip, I didn’t see how those women could function without accidentally hurting themselves or others.
When a rather large tough looking man wearing all black arrived to pick them up, and I saw Bail Bond on his shirt, I realized purpose of the nails WAS to hurt someone -- a scratch, dig, cut, shred weapon to be used should they run into rough characters in their bail bond business.
Then there was the time I cringed when I observed a woman have her fingernails painted stark white, her toes pink.
Mismatched hands and toes just don’t seem to flow and brings out a cross between my Inner Sheldon Cooper, who sees the need for order and consistency in the Universe and my Inner Monk, who gets all uptight when things don’t match.

Yesterday, I really cringed when the woman two chairs over had four nails on each hand painted pink, one nail on each hand painted blue, and all toes painted red.
I fully realize that other people’s choices have nothing to do with me and further is none of my business, but eweeeeee.
For lunch, I chose TGI Friday because they have a gluten free menu and, while I overheard a woman at the table behind me order lobster tails, and I was encouraged to order whatever, I opted for a simple turkey burger on gluten-free bun and fries.
Cheap date though I may be, that was far and away the best turkey burger I’ve ever had, but I ran into a problem when I checked the label on the catsup and saw high fructose corn syrup an ingredient. Not wanting to risk an angry gut episode, I asked the waiter if he had any kind of sauce I could use as a substitute for catsup. He suggested avocado vinaigrette.
Never heard of it, but just the word “avocado” sounded like a winner so I gave it a go and they should really bottle the stuff, it was that good.
I always stock the refrigerator with a made from scratch olive oil & vinegar vinaigrette but back in my unit, after googling “avocado vinaigrette” seeing how easy it is to make, I will be making up a batch today.
Next on daughter and I’s list are facials in a week or two. No special occasion, I just mentioned, while sitting in the spa chair, that I wanted to get a facial but was worried about people seeing me with no makeup.
The girl working on my pedicure said, “Wear sunglasses”.
Daughter chimed in, “Yes, wear sunglasses, and I’m planning on a facial, so let’s go together”.
Works for me, and it just so happens those oversized transition distance glasses the vision center made -- the ones I like the frame but not the vision center’s work, will fit the bill in covering my bare face.
On tap for today?
Making that avocado vinaigrette and trying, yet again, to get out of the unit and out for a walk. I didn’t make it out last time I tried and, inasmuch as I’ve a 5K coming up, I really need to put in some training time.
On another topic, I received feedback on Friday’s Mother’s Day Brunch potluck here at the senior complex.
The Seer said "It was okay … not many people showed up … President of the Resident’s Committee got into a shouting match with the Activity Director."
WAIT!

WHAT?!
President of the Resident's Committee is next door neighbor -- the woman with a Master’s Degree in Education, background as a State Commissioner, now back in her element of being large and in charge, albeit in a smaller pond, as President of the Resident’s Activity Committee. Accustomed to being heard and obeyed, neighbor's been getting more and more upset with Activity Director’s poor performance and being a stumbling block to getting activities done at a higher level – such as refusing to allow the public to participate in last month’s rummage sale.
If there’s a battle of wills between the two, not yet certain who I’ll put my money on, but I’m leaning towards neighbor.
Perhaps I will attend this coming Thursday’s Residents/Management meeting after all.

1 comment:

  1. I think I will try that avocado vinaigrette thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete