Saturday, November 19, 2016

Thanksgiving Luncheon

Well that could not have gone any worse.

Fifty residents signed up for the 11:00 to 1:00 event, which event we were led to believe was management’s gift to its residents.

Arriving at 10:15 to get a good seat since so many had signed up, I walked out at 11:15 and drove to El Pollo Loco for a “fresh from the grill” lunch, at which time there were only 18 residents in attendance.

Backing up to the beginning -- arriving at 10:15, I found seven already seated and learned “no” it isn’t El Pollo, it’s a turkey from Honey Baked and “no” it isn’t catered -- the Activity Director purchased the turkey from Honey Baked and now needs to warm it up.

Okay, I can deal with that.

Then I learned Activity Director had forgotten to bring napkins, and there were no sides – nothing but the turkey.

The Baker ran to her unit and brought back a couple cans of cranberry sauce.

Speaking of which, the other resident who’d signed up for cranberry sauce for the event on the 24th was in attendance and when I told her I’d already signed up and purchased three cans, graciously said, “I’ll bring something else.”

I think she’ll probably forget. Others said not to worry about it, because she won’t even show up.

At any rate, questioning those who’d arrived before I did as to why there were no sides, I was told where we all thought the event was catered, the Activity Director seemed dumbfounded that we so thought and had expected us to bring side dishes.

We didn’t just “think” it, there was no mention of sides on the calendar or sign-up sheet and even the Activity Director herself had indicated it was either El Pollo Loco or turkey -- “It’s something corporate is thinking of doing for all its properties”.

Now she says she didn’t say that, which has seriously damaged her credibility. Where she’d been looking for more participation, she will now end up with less.

To rectify the lack of sides situation, Activity Director took off in her car to the market to shop for napkins, frozen veggies, instant mashed potatoes, canned gravy, boxed cornbread mix.

Residents speculated the cornbread was to take the place of stuffing -- that we could put gravy on it.

I’d never thought of gravy on cornbread, might be tasty but at 11:15, when there was talk of further delay whenever Activity Director returned from her shopping expedition, because it would take time to cook those items, I decided instant mashed potatoes and canned gravy wasn’t worth my time.

I turned on the cellphone, located the nearest El Pollo Loco, drove to and picked up lunch to be eaten in the peace calm non chaotic atmosphere of my unit.

I doubt those who stayed and waited it out were as disappointed as I, their logic being “something is better than nothing".

For me, sometimes that’s true, just not yesterday when I had better things I could have done with my time.

So now the potluck residents have planned for the 24th is looking better. It can’t turn out any worse than yesterday did and, generally, when we do our own thing the event is successful.

Talking to my next door neighbor later, who had attended and stayed because, “I was hungry and can use the leftover turkey with Stove Top”, about 25 showed up, service began a little after noon, and “The pie from Stater Bros was good”.

2 comments:

  1. I'm wondering why there would be two dinners so close together, one a week before the holiday and one two days after? That seems like over-kill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one, the one on the 18th is ... or was suppose to be hosted by management for us. Every year they've hosted a catered affair for its residents a week before Thanksgiving. The potluck on the 24th is the brain child of Apache, the Baker, and the Seer for all of us who have no families to go to that Thanksgiving day. At least we won't get instant and boxed food on the 24th,

      Delete