Thursday, August 25, 2016

Thou Shalt Not Trespass

Because of recent accidents and complaints of persons on private property, Pokémon Go updated its software to caution users not to play the game while driving and to not trespass.

The majority of my 72 years of life has been that of a nerdy avid rule follower -- except for having flirted with a few minor rules of law in the late 60’s/early 70’s when I was “finding” myself, so I wouldn’t dream of taking my eyes off the road to play Pokémon and, of course, I wouldn’t trespass onto private property.

Or so I thought.

Up early this morning to 70° weather inviting me out, I suited up and headed for 3 miles around the golf course.

I’d recently read that golf courses are plush hunting grounds -- graveyards as well, but I’m too afraid some ghostly apparition might follow me home, so nix the graveyards. However, it was true about the golf course – there were literally dozens on the path. Probably a lot on the greens as well, especially around the lake recently constructed in the center. The wire rope surrounding the course could easily have been stepped over to check the greens and the lake but, then again, that would be trespassing, which was out of the question.

Or so I thought until close to the end of the walk when the cell phone alerted me to a Poké Stop nearby.




It was some sort of statue over in the distance, fairly deep onto private “Members Only” property, in front of the Club House Entrance (marked with the red star).

Valuable game items are in those Poké Stops, so I was tempted enough to debate scooting over the wall and breaking the law – just this once.

Then, I noticed an open driveway gate a few steps ahead on the path. Quickly ran in, stood in front of the statue, activated the Stop, and was rewarded with a few Poke Balls, Raspberries and was outta there.

Raspberries made it worth the trespass, because Pokémon can fight capture and even break free once caught. I’ve had that happen a time or two and was stunned they had that capability. I’ve since learned the fight and run goes out of them if you toss them a Raspberry – theory being they eat it and are lulled into submission.

Interesting interactive game, is it not?

So anyway, I’m sure the golf course has captured me on their security cameras, as have the cameras at the Stops I visit couple-times-a-week … Seventh Day Adventist Church, Dog Groomer Place, and The Gathering Place Church. Though I’ve not trespassed the first two -- because the module is close enough to be accessed from the sidewalk, and the third requires a drive through the parking lot, stop in front of the church doors, get what came for, drive out of the parking lot. Technically not a trespass, in my book.

Thing is, I’m pretty sure these places don’t know they are a Poké Stops. All they know is their security cameras show this woman continually pulling up in front of their business -- in the case of the church, driving through the parking lot in a white car, pulling out her cell phone, does something suspicious with the phone, aims it at their business and, to their minds, is taking photos, casing the place for some future criminal activity.

I would not be one bit surprised if the police did not trace my vehicle license and show up at my door one day to question my suspicious behavior.

Seriously.

8 comments:

  1. You probably aren't the only person doing this. If you suddenly find a rope over your right of way, you will know that they caught on. I find all this delightful. No modern phone here tho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't run into any other players in those areas ... yet, but hopefully you're right.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Mage. There are probably plenty of other people doing the same thing you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The adult building next door did not know they were a Poke Stop until I told my granddaughter, who told them. All they knew is management had to keep chasing students from the university from hanging around their fountain. NOW they advertise being a Poke Stop to lure in new tenants.

      Delete
  3. Churches have even asked to be Poke Stops, just to get people to come to church.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? That's kinda sad to have to lure folks to church BUT hilarious nonetheless.

      Delete
    2. You do whatever you can to attract young people to church nowadays.

      Delete
  4. Not playing Pokemon Go? Download It Now (Available for iOS or Android)

    ReplyDelete