Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Smelling Smoke

My day indoors almost didn’t happen when granddaughter called asking for a ride to Walmart.

Of course, I said “Sure”.

She called later to cancel because she’d heard the freeway had been closed due to the fires.

I did hear fire trucks racing up the street last few days, knew they were heading towards Devore for the Basin Fire but, inasmuch as I don’t watch the news all that much, I didn’t know the wind had shifted and spread to what they’re calling the Blue Cut Fire, necessitating closure of the 15 and 215.

The direction we’d be travelling to the local Walmart, though taking us nowhere near the fire, would put us directly in line to where traffic was most likely at a standstill from being diverted off the freeway, onto the streets, and folks trying to find alternate ways around.

So good on her that she caught yesterday was not a good day to drive in that direction.

I later did watch the news and learned the entire community of Lytle Creek was under mandatory evacuation.

That’s the location of the cabin I was to visit last weekend!

If I ever get another invitation, I don’t think I will.

I don’t like the idea of going somewhere difficult to get into or out of in an emergency situation and, looking at the map, there doesn’t appear to be any options in or out other than one road and the now clogged and closed off freeway.

That’s why I’ll never go to Hawaii again.

A coworker friend and I treated ourselves to a Hawaiian vacation back in 1988.

When we arrived at the airport for the return trip, there was a problem I don’t specifically recall, except that it caused an overnight delay before we could catch a flight. Having already checked out of the hotel, we had to spend the night in the airport.

That’s when it hit that I was trapped on an island, surrounded by water, couldn’t just rent a car and drive my way out, couldn’t walk out, had no options, and was at the mercy of others – in this instance, the airlines.

Not being able to help myself wasn’t a good feeling; thus, the decision to not get into any situations where I don’t have options so, if invited again up to the cabin, I think not.

On the other hand, that may be a moot issue because, after receiving a blast message the medical center sent to its members advising us to stay indoors because of smoke from the fires, I began to think of the former coworker friend that had invited me up. She doesn’t live in the area so -- though I was sure she was anxiously watching the news, keeping an eye on the cabin situation, I went outside to capture a photo and touch base with her about the situation.




And yes, the smell of smoke was strong, but not strong enough to require a mask.

I messaged the photo saying, “The wind has shifted. It’s heading towards Lytle Creek. That entire community has been ordered to evacuate. Is your cabin safe?”

Her reply didn’t sound too hopeful.

“I went twice in the last 2 weeks. I just hope it's all ok, but I honestly doubt it.”

So many have lost so much this fire season, but hope springs eternal.

I went outside this morning to reassess and found I couldn’t see the fire from my location. The wind had shifted yet again and the smell of smoke was gone.

Later, heading out for gas and coffee, I could see where the wind had shifted to -- deeper into the Lytle Creek area.




On tap for today is another Resident’s/Management meeting.

I’ve already got my coffee. All I need now is to some popcorn for what's sure to be a show.

1 comment: