Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Hearing Voices

As I was getting gas yesterday, I began hearing fast-talking voices that sounded like they were coming from nowhere and everywhere.

Looking up and around I caught glimpse of a screen in the middle of the shiny new pumps the gas station had just installed.




I was getting news, weather and entertainment while I pumped.

I didn't notice it at first because, ever since there was a rash of credit and debit card information being stolen from gas stations a few years back, I go inside and pay cash.

At any rate, gas station television. What a novel idea, and how fun, I thought as I walked away from the pump, around the car to stand in front of the screen.

It was mesmerizing.

After hearing the click indicating the gas was done pumping, I released the pump – eyes still on the screen, and was bummed out to learn that action of release turned the screen off.

After replacing the pump, I drove across the street to the walk-in Starbucks.

I generally drive in the opposite direction to the drive-thru Starbucks in the mornings but, since this location recently became a PokéStop, I'll be running my errands on this end of town from now on.

Lucky for me that’s as far as I drove because, returning to the car, I saw I’d neglected to replace the gas cap.

So now I’m thinking gas pump television, with its distracting us from focusing on the job at hand, might not be such a good idea after all.

4 comments:

  1. The gas station we frequent when visiting in San Mateo has this feature. I find it annoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once the novelty wears off, I probably won't notice it as much and will get back to paying attention to my surroundings and what I'm doing.

      Delete
  2. Or you can do like me and not pay attention to it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll get to that point. In fact, I think after the gas cap incident, I'm there now.

      Delete