Thursday, November 24, 2016

Happy Thanksgiving



Looking back at what I’d blogged this time last year, I was doing laundry and pulling Christmas stuff out of storage.

There is laundry to be done and, if I want to get the patio decorated on the traditional Day after Thanksgiving, I need to be hauling Christmas stuff out of storage; but this year I put all that on the back burner and participated in the 2nd Annual Riverside Turkey Trot at Fairmount Park.

The 5K took off precisely as scheduled -- 8:45 this morning. Most 5Ks are scheduled for 7 a.m. Why such a late start, I do not know; but 8:45 to an early riser like myself is like afternoon already.

At any rate, though my foot is of course still bothering me, didn’t feel great during the race, worse after, I managed the trail, including three steep inclines, and finished with my best time in a long time.





I also ran into a cluster of Electabuzz and captured eight of ‘em.




I got lots of compliments on my costume which, you will note, included the bonnet.




I had no intentions of wearing the bonnet, because I thought it made me look like I should be the photo on a box of pancake mix or a bottle of maple syrup. However, daughter liked the bonnet, encouraged me to wear so I got comfortable with it and ended up liking it myself.

Daughter also felt, because of all the compliments, I’d win the costume contest. Thus the fast pace … rushing me along so we’d get to the finish line in time for said contest.




She might as well have paced me at a take-our-time stroll, because the win went to the kids dressed as turkeys. I wasn’t disappointed. Winning always means a lot more to kids than to us adults. The crowd knew that and hooted and hollered that way. Besides, the prize was only free admission to next year’s 5K.

And let me add, daughter did not know about the problem with the foot. Had she known, she would not have rushed me and probably would have grounded me altogether.

Daughter is already looking forward to the 2017 Trot.

Me? … I don’t know. They’ll probably be laundry to do and Christmas stuff to lug out of storage.

I had facebook friends at the race, but there were so many people that we never found each other.


Looking at the bib numbers, I'm guessing around 3,000 participants


I did, however, meet a family whose headgear got a giggle out of me.




And saw some cute “Run now, Gobble later” socks, to match a turkey-themed tutu.




After returning to the complex, I iced my foot, caught a nap and headed to the Community Room for the potluck.

It didn’t disappoint.


Turkey, Ham, Potatoes, Stuffing, Yams

It was a good thing I stuck to bringing cranberry sauce because the other woman who'd signed up for cranberry sauce did as other had expected and failed to show up.



2 comments:

  1. what a wonderful day!!! Hope you aren't paying for it today, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, there was a price to pay, but the fun was worth the penalty.

    ReplyDelete