Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Twenty-Three Hours Later

No idea what time I finally fell asleep last night but, waking a little after 9 this morning, I still felt wired … speeding from the magic beans ingested at 10:00 yesterday.

I found myself whipping eggs for breakfast at an unusually fast pace, rushing here doing that, rushing there doing that, cooking, cleaning, organizing, shredding, all at the same time.

It was a VERY productive morning.

Deciding to take advantage of the momentum, I thought it a good time to give minimizing another go – tackle all the things I couldn’t let go of through previous minimizing sessions.

With the idea of moving light -- when I eventually do move, I had been trying to employ a technique which called for tossing one thing a day.

You can’t imagine how hard that is to do. I’d look at an item not serving a purpose and think … but it’s so pretty or it might come in handy one day or someone in the family might want it as a memento after I’m gone or, as in the case of dozens of t-shirts, I might turn them into a quilt one day.

High on magic beans, items look less pretty, handy, like anything anyone in my family would want, and I’ve been using that “quilt” line for as many years as I can remember, so out went eight empty perfume bottles and Mop Dolls I’d made so many years ago that I can’t even tell you.




I thought about taking the dolls to the Salvation Army but, except for two – which I’m keeping, the dolls just didn’t look pretty or sturdy enough, so I bagged ‘em and took to the dumpster.

If the dolls are to survive and be wanted by anyone, I’m leaving it up to the Dumpster Diving Resident to resuscitate and do whatever.

These are the two I’m keeping.




Out also went the dozen or so Starbucks paper carry bags I’d kept … because why? … especially since I have two of their cloth carry bags.

Out also went miscellaneous items usable not to me, but to someone, such as a table lamp I really liked but, after 5 years of searching, I’d been unable to find a replacement shade for after the original became damaged.

Inasmuch as Nurse Ratched will not allow us to have yard sales, when we have usable items, us residents place items in the area around the dumpster, instead of IN the dumpster.

Nothing I’ve ever left there has ever lasted more than a few minutes, and once I looked back and saw a guy walking away with a wooden coffee cup holder I’d just seconds ago placed.

I had to laugh when, typing this post, I looked up and spied a familiar item in the window across the quad.




It’s the lamp.

LOL.

I’ll let granddaughter pick through the t-shirts, see if anything there she wants, and donate the remainder.

The effect of yesterday’s magic beans didn’t wear off until around 2:00 this afternoon.

7 comments:

  1. Good for you to continue to purge. I met with a friend yesterday and we talked about this. What to leave behind and who would want it. She had gotten nothing of her mother's but realized there really wasn't anything she wanted or needed, either, so it was just as well that everything had been disposed of. I have a rule that I cannot buy anythng new unless I get rid of something old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good rule about nothing new unless get rid of something old. I'll keep it in mind.

      Delete
  2. How about "one" bean a day? LOL I'm following that 52 week house organizing challenge myself. Ugg...but needs to be done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tough to let go, but feels good to have less clutter in one's space.

      Delete
  3. I am going through old posts ( want to find out when Nurse Ratchett left and how) and saw this. The two mop dolls you are keeping are great, you did a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use to make those dolls as Christmas gifts for coworkers, but I'd match the coworker's skin tone and manner of dress. Wish I'd taken and kept photos of those.

      Delete
    2. What a wonderful idea! A friend in IL is talented at quilting but works at a Junior College in the office. She makes small retirement quilts for folks when they leave. She puts in several doors which open and inside are views of fun things they enjoy doing in their spare time or will do in retirement. They are much appreciated.

      Delete