Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Forbidden Rice

Saw a recipe on TikTok a few weeks ago for Spicy Salmon Rice Muffins, which appeared to be Sushi made in a muffin tin.

Worth a try, though I, as I'd not had sushi for a while and was craving it.

A few days later, I was watching Food Network’s The Kitchen where black rice was mentioned.

Never have I seen nor heard of black rice in my whole entire life.

Have you?

At any rate, I was sold on trying it when the chefs expounded its benefits — more fibers and nutrients than even brown rice, improves digestion and a good source of energy.

As for why it’s also known as Forbidden Rice is because it was once so valuable it was only served to royalty.

Times have changed. I got a 14.5-ounce container for $4.59.

Thinking black rice was probably better for me than sushi rice, I did some research and learned black rice could be turned into sushi rice simply by adding rice vinegar so, after this morning’s workout, I got started on Sushi in a Muffin Tin with black rice.


Due to my gut issues, I had to substitute olive oil for sesame, coconut aminos for soy, stevia for honey and spiced the marinade up with louisiana hot sauce instead of chili oil. Also, because my muffin tins are rather large, I cut about an inch off the corners for one big square, then filled with black rice and salmon.



The cut off ends of nori won’t go to waste. I’ll turn them into seaweed salad.

After 17 minutes in the oven, I added the avocado and a substitution for spicy mayo and had myself the most delicious lunch.


Felt a little difficult at first to handle, as the muffin kind of folds over like dolmas, but once I got the hang of it, they were so tasty that I pigged out.

What was meant to be lunch and dinner turned into lunch ........ period.

I can’t say if it was the black rice that made the dish so extra special delicious or the marinated salmon or a combination of the two, but I’ll get an idea of what flavor black rice added when I turn the leftover rice into breakfast fried rice tomorrow morning.

The wind began kicking up again late last night. At one point, I was in bed and saw a large white figure flying at my bedroom window.

Can’t say it didn’t give me little fright, as it looked like a ghost; but I quickly realized it was something the wind had kicked up.

It was rough going to this morning’s workout, with the wind trying to knock me down so, when I left the Pain Cave and was headed back, I was surprised to see Buttons out braving the wind.


There’s no stopping Buttons, who celebrated her 86th birthday this past Sunday. She said she was returning from Wii Bowling at the senior center. Tomorrow she’ll be back out and about attending a Writing Class.

20 comments:

  1. That sounds good! I'd heard of black rice, and may have even had it. Thanks. Olivia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably be switching to black rice permanently, see if it does help my gut issues.

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of black rice before -- must be the latest thing! Glad you enjoyed your new sushi recipe made with it. And I must say, Buttons is an example to us all -- out and about and active despite her advanced years! Just like you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buttons has got me beat so far as active and mingling with others.

      Delete
  3. That was Casper! He's still around. I've heard of black rice before, kinda like more "adult" than brown rice, usually put in Mediterranean types of dishes. You really reinvented the salmon sushi. Nice conversion. Seems like you could roll it like you do your other sushi if that's easier than holding it together out of the muffin pan. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got some green mushy rice in the bottom drawer of my refrigerator. I can send it to you if you want to experiment with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The black rice looks interesting. Good on Buttons for being so active - not that your a slouch with your marathons and workouts. Viv

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting and tasty. I don't know much about Button's background, but she looks like there some good stories there.

      Delete
  6. I had a black rice dish in a restaurant once and liked it. I understand it’s also a good choice for diabetics because it contains a lot of fiber and is slow to digest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can tell from your blog that you're an adventurous eater. Me, not so much. I just tried parsnip a few weeks ago ... uck! This black rice looks to be a winner.

      Delete
    2. I have to say some of your recipes sound VERY adventurous to me.

      Delete
  7. We found Black Rice several years ago and use it quite often. I do like the flavor of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was okay as breakfast fried rice, but the dark color made it difficult to see if fried to my liking. Had to use the taste test.

      Delete
  8. There was a period of time where I bought black rice on a regular basis. I had recipe that used coconut milk as the cooking liquid. Oh, my, that was delicious. However, I don't see black rice in the bulk food sections any more and had pretty much forgotten about that dish until I read your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't find it in any of the local markets, even though their websites said it was sold at those markets. Had to order it. I didn't get to Sprouts, because of the freeway is crazy when the wind is up. So hopefully, they keep it in stock, so I don't have to hassle with delivery when I need to replenish.

      Delete
  9. What an Interesting Muffin those made and I'm glad they turned out so good. I recently had some Crispy Lemongrass Chili Oil Wings at a Vietnamese Restaurant and couldn't stop eating them. They are now a fav thing on their Menu, addictive in fact.

    ReplyDelete