Saturday, June 20, 2020

Got Grits?

I certainly do … have grits that is.
Using the last of my box of grits weeks ago, and unable to find the boxed grits I generally buy since the pandemic hit, I tried what was available — the instant grits that come in packets.
Didn’t like ‘em, too salty. So, I looked around and found my boxed brand online.
Wanting to make sure I had enough to last a while, I ordered two boxes.
Color me overwhelmed when the order arrived and I learned I’d ordered not two boxes, but two four packs — a total of 8 boxes of grits.


I could go into business. LOL. But I won’t.
The sell by date on half the boxes is 11/20, the other half are good until 11/21. So, the reasonable thing to do, just in case the boxed grits become as illusive in future as wipes are now, is to hang onto the four 11/21 boxes, start using one of the 11/20 boxes now, give the other three to Apache to share with residents who like grits.
At least I got my money’s worth. I thought I was buying two boxes at the inflated price of $25 per box when it turned out to be four @ $25.
Elsewhere in my world, I was happy to see everyone in the market this morning wearing masks. The governor had asked nicely for folks to do so, they didn’t, so now it’s a state law.
Signs were posted all over the outside of the market, and I was just waiting to see what would happen if someone tried to enter without a mask — wanting to know if management would enforce the order.
Didn’t see it, but I did see this one idiot wearing a mask incorrectly. It was tiny, only covered her mouth.
Standing in line, watching her nose fully exposed, I pondered what in God’s name was she thinking. Was it that she wasn’t worried about breathing in the virus, only breathing it out?
While I was pondering that, she made it up to the cashier and lowered her mask to her chin — exposing noise and mouth. Shaking my head at her stupidity, I began calling her all kinds of names in my head … like idiot, dumb beoch, test tube baby.


Though technically she was complying with the state law in that she was WEARING a mask (the law doesn't actually say to cover nose and mouth, LOL), the store really needs to invest in some sort of security, a monitor, someone to walk up to people like this and tell them to comply fully or get out.

9 comments:

  1. I sort of had a same situation with some fiber washers for outdoor flood lights I ordered. There are hard to find in a store so when I found them online for (?) $.50 apiece I ordered 10 so I would have a supply. Somebody in shipping misread the order and sent me 10 bags of 10. I now have a lifetime supply.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've even seen employees wearing their masks like that, just covering their mouths or lowering it under their chin... I suppose they think they're in compliance by having it somewhere on their heads? *LOL* It is maddening tho', they're making it mandatory now in stores here but I doubt they enforce it and don't want the confrontation drama? Our Governor is a Covidiot and we have a State full of them apparently since our spread is some of the highest in the Nation now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, some people have to learn the hard way. We'll probably end up with mandatory closures again.

      Delete
    2. I don't know if they can close up again. It's sort of hard to go backwards. I can see the state asking people to shelter in place again. But, even that will probably be hard to manage. People have tasted freedom and don't want to go back. Also, don't know what you are seeing in Southern Cali, but up here I'm hearing so much about it being a disease that kills old people and they were going to die anyway...makes me crazy.

      Delete
    3. That's pretty much the same conversation ... old people going to die anyway, but I'm seeing deaths are across the spectrum. Besides, young people generally think they are invincible to everything bad ... until they're not.

      Delete
  3. Sorry, just never been into grits myself.

    Here in AZ, they FINALLY are instituting masks. But only once we became the PER CAPITA 'leader' (WORLD WIDE)...in cases. Jeez...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if you ever get into grits, I've got extra. LOL. "Per capita leader" ... again I shake my head and question why some insist on having to learn the hard way. Wearing masks at the onset would have been so much less traumatic.

      Delete
  4. There you go, being so generous again ( giving away the grits!). I do declare!
    Hoping the Covid 19 numbers will go down for everyone's sake and also both our daughter and her husband will be furloughed, and probably for several years. Wearing a mask and social distancing are such simple things to do.

    ReplyDelete