Friday, June 5, 2020

Do as I Say, Not as I Do

I guess Nosey (across the quad, downstairs, corner unit ─ the neighbor that nothing gets by) didn’t make it.
After seeing Nosey’s unit abandoned but untouched for months as she recuperated in rehab from a second fall, thinking the unit being untouched a good sign rent was being paid and Nosey would return, yesterday I saw maintenance staff clearing her unit out, preparing for whoever is next on the waiting list.


Not too terribly surprised as, returning from rehab after that first fall, dependent on a walker and caregiver, so weak and so frail that she could barely get around, and only get around from room to room in her unit, never outside, I’d had a bad feeling Nosey wasn’t strong enough to recover from the second fall.
My use of the pseudonym “Nosey” is not to disparage this neighbor. She was a perfectly sweet lady, but I call ‘em as I see ‘em and with her blinds positioned for her to see what’s going on outside without leaving the couch (much like my own self, LOL), watching everything that goes on, her getting up, rushing to her patio to eavesdrop on conversations if she hears talking going on outside, what else could I name her except Nosey … lovingly.
At any rate, a widow, with no children, the last of her family being a twin sister, I guess it was up to management to clear the unit out.
If management has done what I’ve seen them do in the past ─ when there is no family to complain about commandeering good furniture and useful other items, they’ll lease the unit to someone from the County’s disabled seniors list, someone desperately in need of safe housing, someone who has nothing and can use what remains in the unit after management clears out non-essentials.
I have no problem with that so long as management doesn’t take advantage of someone so desperate they don't dare complain and not paint and bring in new carpeting, because Nosey occupied that unit for almost 20 years.
She was a very clean, very neat lady, didn’t smoke so there’s not that smoke damage to the walls, but still ... just a simple washing of walls and shampooing carpets won’t do.
Every time I see what’s left behind after a resident passes away, I begin to think I should go through my unit and purge what I don’t need, don’t use, as I don’t want to leave a mess behind for family to have to deal with.
The plan for today was to head to the University and qualify for one of the two 5Ks I’ve registered for ─ the Over It 5K and a new one that just popped up, the DC Wonder Woman Virtual 5K. However, inasmuch as I’ve not yet received my bib number and swag bags, I’ll wait until I do and instead put that energy towards seeing what I can purge from my surroundings.
Usually, I donate, but with all that’s going on, i.e., fear of contamination, I doubt any agency is interested in taking the barely worn athletic shoes and other items I’d already set aside for donation, let alone the kitchen stuff I’ll be purging today.
Looking outside, from my perch on the couch, I found it interesting that after posting notices to our doors to the effect “Our office and maintenance teams will be wearing face coverings, and we request that all residents do the same when out in the community”, I saw this.


Assistant Maintenance Guy is dutifully wearing the required face covering, while Head Maintenance Guy is not.
Do as I say, not as I do.
Our curfew was lifted yesterday. Too soon, I'm thinking, but time will tell.
Oh, and by the way, in the midst of the pandemic, protests and a curfew being imposed just as things were opening up because of rioting, we had an earthquake.
I was sitting on the couch watching television when, all of a sudden, I felt a rolling sensation, and it felt like the couch was swaying from side to side. Not sure if what I was feeling was the result of forgetting to take blood pressure medication or a religious experience or an actual earthquake, I went online and sure enough …


Word to the Universe give us a break already. We've had enough. 

7 comments:

  1. Earthquakes, Pandemics, Riots, it really is too much all at once. Sorry to hear Nosey Neighbor didn't make it, I'm sure a housebound life might have created her hobby of lurking and eavesdropping. We've had Fires here, not close to where we live but in a very scenic part of the Valley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's almost fire season around here, so yep, that's probably in our future.

      Delete
  2. We certainly need a break. The optimistic part of me almost believes we will get one just because we should- but life doesn't work that way.
    Poor Nosey, sounds as if she had a rather miserable life these last years. Did she enjoy attending the community events and join in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oddly enough, Nosey choose not to get involved in events. She wasn't disabled, but hardly left her unit, except to go to the market and Laundry Room. She did her socializing from her patio, flagging down whoever walked through the quad for a chat, even the landscapers. LOL.

      Delete
  3. Just came across this and wondered if it might interest you.
    https://racheldubois.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Do as I say, not as I do."
    Typical of control freaks.

    ReplyDelete