Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Am I Wrong?

Am I wrong to be worried about this?


Getting low on the latex gloves and disinfectant wipes I had in my stash before the pandemic hit, I began looking around to replenish around the middle of May.
Wipes were nowhere to be found, and still are. I did, however, find a source for gloves which arrived late last week …. from OUT OF THE COUNTRY!
I did not realize. There was no indication the gloves were coming from out-of-the-country and I don’t know if I’m overreacting, being overly cautious or just plain paranoid but I’m worried about using them.
In fact, when I opened the box, realized its source, I ran and got the Lysol, sprayed the box, then ran and washed my hands.
Am I wrong … Overacting in thinking the gloves may be contaminated?
Not sure what to do, I consulted the knower of all things. No, not God, I consulted Googled … “Is it safe to buy products from out of the country amid the coronavirus?”
The answer was “Yes” but, given no explanation as to why it’s safe, I’m not feeling reassured.
Better safe than sorry, I’ll probably store them in the patio storage area and take my chances and go glove free if I use up the last of what I have on hand before finding a local source.
I was out and about today. First, I ran the car through the self-car wash, then stopped by the bank to cash a check.
While in line, my ears perked up when I overheard a gentleman tell the teller he wanted $3500 from his checking account, because I wanted to see if he had to go through the same hoops I did when I last took out cash — which was to go back to the old withdrawal slip method, plus show picture ID … when I thought my pin should have sufficed.
He did have to fill out a withdrawal slip, but I didn’t see him pull out ID, so I guess the pin is now being accepted in lieu of ID, as it should be.


Next I went to Sprouts, restocked a few items and made an impulse buy.


No idea what I’ll use this little satchel for, but so cute and so me I couldn’t resist.
Back at the complex, walking towards my unit, I saw The Seer walking towards me. My instinct was to wave, but I reminded myself that I was done with her nasty attitude — my smiling waving, her dead eye mad dogging me, not waving back.
Last time I saw her was just before the pandemic. She was sitting across the grassy knoll, on the bench outside that laundry room. Looking straight at me, she didn’t smile or wave and though my instinct was to smile and wave at her anyway, I reminded myself that I was done with that, done with extending myself only to have her dis me by not smiling/waving in return.
Seeing her walking towards me today, looking all dead eye/mad dogging me, I had no problem not smiling/waving.
We didn’t pass each other. She turned off towards the mailbox, I turned off towards my stairs.
On my second trip to unload the car, walking back towards my unit, it was Apache and the resident that made the X-rated cupcake walking towards me.
We all stopped to chat about Apache’s ongoing issues with management, their lawyers, the Yelp comments and speculating how long before the current Community Manager quits or gets fired and, while doing so, I saw The Seer returning from the mailbox, walking directly towards us and she looked so cute in brown summer shorts, a brown top, her gray hair in a bun that I blurted out, “You look so cute”.
She didn’t stop walking — walked her non-smiling self straight through us, but did respond with, “I don’t feel cute. I feel upset” and still walking away, back to us, went on to say how sick and tired she was of her neighbors.
“Are they smoking again?” I asked.
She stopped walking, turned towards us and answered “They’re doing some of everything, and I’m sick of what they’re doing affecting me”.
Same ole, same ole. Always in a mood. Always upset. Always complaining about someone, not getting along with the world, so Apache, the X-rated resident and I didn’t bite. Instead of responding, we went back to our conversation, which intrigued her enough to walk back to where we were, listen in and say she was going to read the Yelp reviews.
I don’t imagine today’s interaction means The Seer will go back to smiling and waving, rather than mad dogging me, but whatever. I’ll not be initiating a wave, she’ll have to wave first — which she won’t and I’ll bite my tongue if I feel any future compliments coming on.

8 comments:

  1. I'm going to be back. You write like a novelist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As for the gloves, I don't think they are necessary. I have heard you are better off using sanitizer or wipes when you finish shopping. As for the Clorox wipes, they won't be in the stores until August, at the earliest. Clorox is busy filling medical supply orders and cleaning maintenance company orders. I found some washing wipes at Whole Foods that do a good job and I carry those with me when I go out. We are sure having to learn how to "made do" in this pandemic.

    A dr friend just told me that it's not surfaces to be concerned with, but close contact with people where the droplets are in the air. Wash your hands and don't touch your face is her advice. Oh, and wear a mask at all time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not so worried about wearing gloves for shopping. My only shopping these days is online and at the market. However, I wear gloves when working out in the Pain Cave because I'm using equipment others have used. I might take a drive to the nearest Whole Foods, which isn't that near, to check on those washing wipes so, if I don't get gloves, I can at least wipe equipment before I use. And, p.s., Trainer does Lysol spray the treadmill handles, but I don't think he does the other items.

      Delete
    2. California has really strict rules about gyms. I would think he has to be on top of all those protocols to be able to be open.

      Delete
    3. It's one on one personal training. No one in the studio but he and I and your comment about it not being surfaces to be concerned about does give me some reassurance it's okay to pick up equipment others have used without gloves. It's just in me to always err on the side of caution.

      Delete
  3. I was given a list of how long the virus lives on surfaces- 4 hrs on copper or wood,
    24 hrs on cardboard, 42 hours on metal and 72 hours on plastic. Your purchase will be fine by now. Don't worry.
    Also, our doctor told us last week that one needs to be in fairly close proximity with an infected person for around 10 minutes to get infected.
    You are in good shape and wise to err on the side of caution. That's probably why your life is so comfortable now, is it not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really good information and yes, my paranoia/erring on the side of caution has served me well … and long before the current world situation. LOL.

      Delete