Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Pizza Tuesday

Giving up needlepoint time to visit with the seniors this morning was worth the tradeoff.
I learned how Monster’s Ball came to be shown.
My buddy Apache was given a whole bunch of used DVDs, so he put them on the table and asked the Little Helpful Lady to pick one. She saw Haley Barry’s name, remembered Haley had won an Academy Award for the film and chose that one.
Then, once the film was shown and all heck broke out, she blamed Apache for showing such a “nasty” movie.
“I didn’t know”, said Apache, “But you chose it”.
So that was that, but bad luck followed.
There was no movie last Friday because Apace became ill and the Little Helpful Lady took a fall and broke her arm in three places.
I hope they threw the DVD in the trash, because it appears to be cursed.
On another topic, there’s been a wedding.
No, not The Seer and Shadow, not yet but, as I was being told by The Seer which resident was married Sunday at their church, it was on the tip of my tongue to ask, “When are you two getting married?” Fortunately, this time I had the thought just before the words rolled off my tongue and consequently was able to bite my tongue and not get myself in trouble.
The new couple is The Lady Who Wants Braids (LWWB) and the gentleman she lives with, who she told me was someone her mother had been caregiver to and, when mom died, she took over as his caregiver.
Since LWWB is one of the group that attend the same church, I guess that was a story to cover what their church would have considered living in sin. Now I’m finding out they’ve been a couple for 22 years.
She needn’t have lied to me ─ I’m not antiquated or judgmental like that, but whatever.
Wanting to give her a wedding gift, I Googled “Wedding Gift Ideas for 60 Year Olds” and came up with a lot of impractical stuff, like:
Cleaning service (too expensive)
Personalized gift basket (too much trouble)
Gym membership (get real)
Coupon for activities in the city (they never leave the complex, other than to attend church a block away)
Tickets to an all-paid vacation (living here IS a vacation)
Then there was:
Good old cash
Ding ding ding ding.
I rushed out, picked up a Congratulations on your Wedding money card, and sent to them via The Seer.
So, gifting is done and behind me.
Speaking of gifts .... Catching up with my Buddy Apache, I learned he’s being pursued by an 80-year-old.
A relatively new resident, the woman in question is in really good shape for her age. She’s thin, lively ─ always dancing around, and has been leaving little gifts at Apache’s door. She's also spicy, having been overheard to say someone, "I've still got a fire" as she swiveled her hips.
I like her.
Even though Apache is nowhere near her age, he could do worse.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, you make me laugh. Why you, a 30 year old, wanted to live in an old folks home amazed me every time I visit.

    ReplyDelete