Tuesday, January 1, 2019

New Year, Business as Usual

Twenty eighteen was a good year for me. No major complaints. Nothing I desperately wanted or needed to change this year, so I didn’t lock myself into any resolutions per se.
That’s not to say there are not things I need to improve ─ like train/walk more, maybe go to the gym, it’s just that I no longer set those as goals because, now that I'm retired and my time is my own, I know I can’t go back to a schedule, a regiment. I’m more free flow nowlistening to the Universe and going with the flow.
However, it did cross my mind that I should rein in my shopping.
It’s a good thing I didn’t set that as a goal, was only thinking about it, because by 7:00 I’d made my first purchase of the year ─ not a need, but a want.

As seen on Debra's/She Who Seeks site

The year’s still young, so I’ll reset and think harder about reining in my shopping … that is after I order the same shirt for Twin 2, who will love it.
I want to wait until mine arrives and I can test for size before I order for Twin 2.
Second order of business for today was to tackle the patio’s Christmas decorations — box everything up, get things back in storage.
The wind was blowing so hard last night that I thought there’d be no patio decorations to store, that I’d awake to find everything gone with the wind.
Checking the patio around 6:00 a.m., I found nothing gone, someone’s empty fast food bag added, the chair, decorations, rug jumbled and shoved into a corner.


At any rate, by noon, the patio was back to pre-Christmas conditioneverything neatly stored, not to be seen for another year.
I’ll have to find out how yesterday’s New Years Eve party went — that is if there was one.
My buddy Apache texted me in the morning that instead of 2:00 PM to 1:00 AM, the festivities had been rescheduled — 5:00 to 7:00, because “the replacements don’t know how to set the code”.
What apache meant was that what staff we had on the property New Year’s Eve were temps working half day and none knew how to reset the code on the Community Room doors to remain unlocked past 7:00 PM.
That didn’t explain why the event start was moved from 2:00 to 5:00 but whatever the reason, I lost interest, decided it wasn’t worth the effort to brave the cold wind and stayed warm and comfortable in my unit.
Apache is not one to have his plans thwarted by management, so I expect his not being able to have the room past midnight is going on his list of grievances. And the fact he didn’t post any photos to the resident’s Facebook page means it either didn’t happen or no one showed up.
I’m expecting the worst because I can feel how angry he is ─ not at me, or the residents, but at management.
Figuring the market would be closing early yesterday, I made a quick trip for black bean soup ingredients.
The market was crowded and not much fun now that it’s back to business as usual with hide and seek over. Since hide and seek was so successful, hopefully they’ll bring back the elf next year.
Because the market parking lot was crowded, I’d parked way off in a corner. Returning to the car, I discovered that parking spot was pinging on a Pokémon GO Gym, under the control of Team Yellow (Instinct). I being Team Red (Valor) decided to hon my skills by engaging in a battle with the three Team Yellow creatures in the gym.
I won!
First time winning a battle and I won all three!
Not knowing what to do after winning, I shut down the game and returned to the complex.
Upon booting up the computer and researching what come next, I learned I missed an opportunity. After winning, I should have claimed the gym for Team Red and left a creature behind to fight off opposing teams that tried to claim or reclaim the gym.
Now I just have to figure out how to claim.
Living and learning. That should be my goal for 2019keep living and learning.

4 comments:

  1. I saw that t-shirt and loved it. That was a really good post by Debra. I also did a little bit of shopping for clothes for myself at the end of the year. A couple of months ago I found a brand called Knox Rose that Target had carried that reminded me of the peasant blouses of my hippie days. They are cut big through the middle which I need at this apple stage of life and I feel somewhat stylish wearing this brand of clothing. They are also made of light cotton which can be worn 11 1/2 months of the year here in Texas. I search all the new and used clothing sites and bought quite a few. Now I can stop because I have more clothes than I have ever possessed since my working days. I'm ashamed to say that I kind of enjoyed all that shopping after not shopping, because I really didn't need anything, for quite a while. I'll let that be the end of my 2018. It sure was fun while it lasted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You found that t-shirt and bought it! I'm so glad! It's pretty unique, isn't it, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice mess on the patio, and a delightful win. Hurrah. Let us know if you learn how to keep it all for the red.

    ReplyDelete