Friday, January 18, 2019

Sun’s Up

Yesterday, the day before yesterday and the day before that was all day all night unrelenting this ...


Today there was a break.


Not at all sure how long it would be before the universe once again expressed its displeasure with the state of the union, first on my to-do list was that long over-due bloodwork ─ but only because I’d run out of a floss color, knew there was a craft store in the area of the medical center and determined the errand an opportune time to kill two birds with one stone.
But for the floss, I would have kept to local errands and put off bloodwork to another day.
I signed into the lab at 10:45.
It’s a numbering system ─ served in order of arrival.
My number was 31.
The number being served was 13.
At 10:55, the number being served was still 13.
Interesting, thought I. My number 31 is 13 backwards but for heaven’s sake! … How long does it take to draw blood and call in the next number?
At the rate things were going, I estimated at least an hour and a half wait.
I didn’t bring a book to read or needlepoint to work on and life is too short to sit idly by, so I headed back to the receptionist and asked for a refund of the $35 lab fee or a rain check.
No problem. Whichever I preferred.
I took the raincheck, headed for the craft store, loaded up on avocados and almond butter at Sprouts, salmon and veggies at Stater Bros, and was back at the complex before outside turned bad again.
The Stater Bros I dropped into was the one near where the new senior complex is scheduled to be built, a hop skip jump from the fire department. When I patronize this store, it's not unusual to see fire personnel. And so it was today that four very handsome well-built young men in uniform walked in. Of course, I went gaga, and remarked to the cashier how fortunate she was to see that kind of eye candy coming in on a regular basis. “I'm married”, said she. “So I hardly notice”.
“Are you married?” she asked. 
“No. I've been very happily divorced for 50 years.”
“Oh, no wonder you notice them”.
ROFLMAO.
Guilty. I do like eye candy, but the encounter got me to thinking .... I hadn't realized it's been 50 years divorced. I escaped my ex when the twins were six months old. They're 51 now, so wow!
I've had gentlemen friends of course, even been engaged a couple times. But I had no intention of ever remarrying. I just said yes because it was easier to say yes and then not than it was to say no and deal with attitude. Besides, my saying yes was a trap, a test of sort. Because I found that when a guy thought he had me locked in, he relaxed, the mask came off and the real him began to show. Which real him gave me the excuse I needed for kicking him to the curb six months to a year later.
One of the gold chains I wear was a goodbye gift, when I left a job, from a group of girls I'd worked with. It has a pendant that says, "Special and Single". Now that I realize it's been 50 years unmarried, I'm thinking I should have one made that says, "Single because I'm Special".

6 comments:

  1. You always make me laugh. Yup, I love eye candy. LOL I was ten years divorced when I met G. I'd just finally settled in to loving being single. LOL Glad it rained as I love those green hills in the distance. So where is the grocery store moving?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The store isn't moving. It's a new store, in a new shopping center, with the fire department behind it and a new senior complex planned to go up quite near the fire department later this year.

      Delete